Best Flathead spot in Pittwater for a soft plastic newbie

flattiefisher27

G'day Raiders,

Titles pretty self explanatory!! I'm starting to try using soft plastics now instead of bait and would like to know some of the best spots to get some flathead on plastics in Pittwater for a plastics newbie. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Jacob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate, I'm not familiar with pity water but just look for shallow water (1-2m) with a bit of weed and sand and a nice drop off, that's where you'll find them! Also, a 1/4oz jig head with an 80-100mm bloody worm wriggler is dynamite! Late arvo on a high tide in winter is something else to look for!

Hope that helps! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Jacob,

I'm assuming you are in a boat, ---go to the port marker pole a couple of hundred metres due west of the Palm Beach ferry wharf. Then take a south westerly line of sight to the southern entrance to the basin. Head along that line until you come to the dropoff. I forget how far the drop off is but its probably about 75 or 100 metres---very impressive drop off!. Fish the incoming tide and anchor about 20 or 30 metres north of the dropoff. Live bait is the go here , just let the current carry it down over the drop,but plastics would obviously work well too. If no boat the public wharf in Saltpan is worth a try.

cheers

Thanks guys! will keep all of that in mind, yew bookwa im hiring a boat out at Palmie tomorrow in the morning from 10-2 so will try heading over to the basin and try and find the drop off, and was also thinking of careel bay?? Thanks so much for the help!!

Hi mate, i replied to your other post about careel bay marina. You need to get yourself a 2nd hand rowboat. You can pick em for nicks if you look around.Store it on the beach above the high tide line like others do near the careel bay marina. Then you can row across to the eastern side and pump nippers for bait, you can explore all those breaming areas where the moored boats meet the edge of the shallows, jig for squid over the weed beds, drop a few witches hats for blue swimmers, catch quality flathead amongst the moorings closer to the entrance to the bay, fish for kings at stokes pt etc etc. No need to go too far or hire tinnies from palm beach - you could spend months just exploring the protected waters of careel bay. With its vast shallows, diverse features, enormous mangrove headwaters and the prohibition on commercial fishing its one of the most fertile areas in pittwater.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate, i replied to your other post about careel bay marina. You need to get yourself a 2nd hand rowboat. You can pick em for nicks if you look around.Store it on the beach above the high tide line like others do near the careel bay marina. Then you can row across to the eastern side and pump nippers for bait, you can explore all those breaming areas where the moored boats meet the edge of the shallows, jig for squid over the weed beds, drop a few witches hats for blue swimmers, catch quality flathead amongst the moorings closer to the entrance to the bay, fish for kings at stokes pt etc etc. No need to go too far or hire tinnies from palm beach - you could spend months just exploring the protected waters of careel bay. With its vast shallows, diverse features, enormous mangrove headwaters and the prohibition on commercial fishing its one of the most fertile areas in pittwater.

Thank you so much for the helpful information!! greatly appreciated!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late here but fully agree with Doublebarrel.........Maybe a kayak is the answer, or the dinghy suggestion. Hiring boats will send you broke. Flathead everywhere in Careel Bay.....the deeper sections between Stokes Point and Sandy Point..........in among the moorings on both sides.....and onto the extensive flats neat Barrenjoey Rd. One thing i do find though is that if you are going to have 100 casts with SPs, sitting down is very limiting and uncomfortable and the retrieve is awkward. When I was 20 and couldn't afford a boat (30 years ago!), I used to wade the sand/mud flats at high tide on dusk/dawn flicking hard bodies and rarely coming home without 1-3 fish. Mainly 30cm-45cm flathead, but also some stonking bream. Much better in warmer months, and wear old runners in case you tread on a ray!