pigfish, have you caught one?

leonardgid

Generally caught over reef from 40M and above.

Bait:pilly, squid, prawn and can be caught on soft plastics.

Not much fight to them.

I use 2 hook twisted dropper 2/0 circles.

Last time I cooked one I stuffed it up. Think they have to be steamed?

Piggies

post-13466-0-66147700-1436573007_thumb.jpg

I've caught heaps of these suckers out from Yamba/Evans Head. Bring a fortune at the markets--a pro there said he gets 40$kilo for the big ones. Steaming is ok but filleting and grilling is the best--better than lobster!!! Don't pan fry--turns out very ordinary

I've caught heaps of these suckers out from Yamba/Evans Head. Bring a fortune at the markets--a pro there said he gets 40$kilo for the big ones. Steaming is ok but filleting and grilling is the best--better than lobster!!! Don't pan fry--turns out very ordinary

thanks for the tip, if i get any i will grill them .

Interesting. I agree they are expensive. Have pan fried mine and wondered what all the fuss was about.

Been catching these for for over 50 years. they are one of my favourite offshore reef fish, on par with long fin perch and just ahead of chinaman jackets. I lightly pan fry in butter and they are fantastic, but don't overcook.

bruce