9-7-2015 – Sydney Bluefin

Managed to get out on Thursday with a couple of Raiders, went early in the morning which is not my usual MO. High sped trolled all the way to Browns, didn’t get anything doing that, but I didn’t expect to either. I just like running lures at 20 knots, it makes me happy :)

Slowed down and trolled at a normal trolling speed once when we reached Browns, heaps of boats out south of Browns but it didn’t sound like they were getting much at that time. So we started heading S/E of Browns looking for colder breaks, eventually got a double hook-up about 12 NM SE of Browns in 19.2, nice BFT.

We landed one in around 10-15 minutes on 24kg.

We got a couple of hook-ups and hits near Browns on the way back, but dropped them. The underwater camera revealed they were Albacore, good to know, now I can sleep at night. Heading back we heard lots of boats getting Albacore and some YFT in the afternoon, great to hear other boats got fish on-board as well, great day out.

Got the BFT on the smallest lure in the spread, 6” lure chain.

Peter

post-22587-0-98216100-1436525288_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-04735200-1436525373_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-15875000-1436525393_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-16011600-1436525408_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-30743600-1436525443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Nice fish, gotta be happy with that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah very happy, I took about third of it home, I made almost 30 sealed bags out of it. I just gave 10 of them to the guy who runs the tackle shop in Burwood. He always gives me a few blocks of pillies for it, perfect.

thanks mate, hey I tired hailing you guys on the radio a few times, we might have been out of range. How did you guys go?

We bagged on bottom fishies at Browns and missed the morning bite by an hour

yeah very happy, I took about third of it home, I made almost 30 sealed bags out of it. I just gave 10 of them to the guy who runs the tackle shop in Burwood. He always gives me a few blocks of pillies for it, perfect.

I have a Chinese friend. I called him as I was leaving Newport and asked if he would like some ocean fresh sashimi grade tuna.

You should of seen the look on he and his families face when I opened my esky and laid a side of yellowfin out. It must have been a 20kg fillet.

I cut a slab off for them, which took a lot of convincing that they could eat it all.......but honestly priceless

good stuff, you can't complain then :)

got 3 species and all PBs for me as well...gemmies,blue eye and a mirror dory and no complaints at all.

We just had some and it was awesome yummmmy.

How goods the fishing off Sydney atm

got 3 species and all PBs for me as well...gemmies,blue eye and a mirror dory and no complaints at all.

We just had some and it was awesome yummmmy

very nice

ok that it, I got up late this morning so I am gonna make myself a late dinner of tuna stir fry and sashimi :)

I have a Chinese friend. I called him as I was leaving Newport and asked if he would like some ocean fresh sashimi grade tuna.

You should of seen the look on he and his families face when I opened my esky and laid a side of yellowfin out. It must have been a 20kg fillet.

I cut a slab off for them, which took a lot of convincing that they could eat it all.......but honestly priceless

yeah good stuff, its good when you find people to give it to who are really like fish and don't waste it. The guy at my tackle shop runs it with his wife, she goes ape shit when bring them tuna, she tells me all the stuff she cooks with it. Bonus for me is free bait, its all good.

Congrats. Must be a good feeling to catch awesome fish like those on your own lures.

Yes local Lures for Local Conditions what more could you ask for, When my boat is up and running i will be running them thats a must.

Managed to get out on Thursday with a couple of Raiders, went early in the morning which not my usual MO. High sped trolled all the way to Browns, didn’t get anything doing that, but I didn’t expect to either. I just like running lures at 20 knots, it makes me happy :)

Slowed down and trolled at a normal trolling speed once when we reached Browns, heaps of boats out south of Browns but it didn’t sound like they were getting much at that time. So we started heading S/E of Browns looking for colder breaks, eventually got a double hook-up about 12 NM SE of Browns in 19.2, nice BFT.

We landed one in around 10-15 minutes on 24kg.

We got a couple of hook-ups and hits near Browns on the way back, but dropped them. The underwater camera revealed they were Albacore, good to know, now I can sleep at night. Heading back we heard lots of boats getting Albacore and some YFT in the afternoon, great to hear other boats got fish on-board as well, great day out.

Got the BFT on the smallest lure in the spread, 6” lure chain.

Peter

Hey Peter well done.

We started out at the canyons in the morning and trolled towards browns for doughnuts. Deep dropped on Browns for an hour but lucked out.

Found some fish on the tide change a few miles n/e of Browns in the afternoon in about 19.7c. Ended up with 4 albies and a YFT of about 25kg. All in all a very good day. Still yet to crack the BFT hoodoo though.

What i cant work out is why don't people share more info? As i was leaving about 3pm I got onto 21 and let everyone who wanted to know where we found our fish, just don't understand why people are so cagey. ps from what I've been told the best thing you can do is call up other boats when you find BFT, as the more baits in the water the more likely they are to hang around.

Johno

Hey Peter well done.

We started out at the canyons in the morning and trolled towards browns for doughnuts. Deep dropped on Browns for an hour but lucked out.

Found some fish on the tide change a few miles n/e of Browns in the afternoon in about 19.7c. Ended up with 4 albies and a YFT of about 25kg. All in all a very good day. Still yet to crack the BFT hoodoo though.

What i cant work out is why don't people share more info? As i was leaving about 3pm I got onto 21 and let everyone who wanted to know where we found our fish, just don't understand why people are so cagey. ps from what I've been told the best thing you can do is call up other boats when you find BFT, as the more baits in the water the more likely they are to hang around.

Johno

Hello Johnon Why don't people share info many reasons, To many to go into, But i don't care tell everyone i don't give a s--t its a big ocean why not share.

Edited by chocolate

Hey Peter well done.

Johno

Johno, this was exactly the case last year, mid week. One of the guys we know shared the coordinates of where he was hooked up at around 9.30 am. There was a hundred boats very quickly converged on that spot. And the fish stayed on all day.

Yes there was a few idiots that got to close when people were hooked up, but it really was in the minority.

To me it proved the benefit of more boats working a school

Johno, this was exactly the case last year, mid week. One of the guys we know shared the coordinates of where he was hooked up at around 9.30 am. There was a hundred boats very quickly converged on that spot. And the fish stayed on all day.

Yes there was a few idiots that got to close when people were hooked up, but it really was in the minority.

To me it proved the benefit of more boats working a school

yeah I'm happy to share as well, I called in the tuna hookup 3 times, 12NM SE of Browns in 19.2, there were 2 boats nearby and couple other boats turned up but kept their distance

sometimes I am not sure if anyone hears it, the radio reception can be a bit crappy out there sometimes

I heard lots chatter during the day which was good

Hey Peter well done.

Johno

Hey Johno, if people aren't calling in any BFT the only advice I can give you which seems to work for us is try to find the cooler temp breaks, low 19s and 18s. We trolled straight past Browns because it was almost 20 and higher in places. So I told the guys if want a BFT we should just keep heading SE and hopefully come across a colder break, it wasn't too long after we found a break that went to 19.2 that we got the hook-ups. High 19s and 20s are probably better for YFT and Albacore.

We got a couple of Bluefin last year and they were hooked in the low 19s as well.

Just like to say a big thanks to Peter for an awesome days fishing, one that my brother and I will always remember, our first Bluefin and what a cracker it was. Was great to get out there with someone who has a load of fishing knowledge and is willing to share that. His lures really do work and would encourage all to try them!!

Edited by SH1MAN0