Doubles, leaders and lure lengths

Hi. What started as chucking a couple of Christmas trees out tied to my braid between marks is starting to turn into a fishing objective. I'm therefore looking to try and bring my terminal tackle inline with best or at least good practice.

I've read the following

The leader on all classes of tackle over 20 lb (10 kg) shall be limited to 30 feet (9.14 meters). The combined length of the double line and leader shall be limited to 40 feet (12.19 meters).

So if I've got this correct there can be up to 4 parts ( let's exclude backing) to yourline

1 main line

2 double

3 wind on

4 lure trace.

With a total length between mainline knot and hook being 40 feet.

If I've got this correct? what are your preferred lengths for each Component and why ?

All depends on what your fishing for

If your chasing 1000lb Blacks we used to run plaited doubles 16 to 18 feet long straight to the trace if we were using wire traces on the lures This rig leaves sufficient spring in the system when the fish is close to the boat but kept the nylon away from the bill and side of the fish

Tuna were a different set up. You can run a double if you like. Depending on line class our fishing I wouldn't worry about it anything over 60lb, tied straight to a wind on usually 11/2 to 2 x breaking strain of your main line. Doesn't need to be overly long. Probably 4 rod lengths at most,

If your chucking lures, not trolling, I'd just use a leader about 3 rod lengths to the lure and then tie it on with lefties loop knot

If your fishing with braid you need to leave enough spring in the system when the fish gets close to the boat or he'll straighten the hooks or bust you off

Thanks Crossfire. Great explanation as to the 'why'

In my circumstance. This is for trolling only. 15kg mono mainline on tld's. And anything I can pick up probably up to 30k out.

But I'm keen to hear and learn rational behind all scenarios.

First there is the wind on v non wind on debate, I stand in the non corner, I feel they are too visible and the disadvantages outweigh the positives.

I like the double to be long enough to get around the spool a couple of times so you can lift with max pressure. Then a bit more than a fish length of leader. And a bit more again for marlin, and a bit more again for big marlin.

Some things to consider

If you are short handed want the angler to bring the fish as close as possible

The closing fight with a tuna will be vertical, difficult with a full length leader as it increases the risk of rubbing off on the hull

A double will give you full knot strength to the snap

When you have the leader in hand you are imparting a new pressure on the fish, this can change its behaviour

OK here's my 2 cents worth. To run 30 foot traces you really need to be on a big boat with a clean uncluttered deck. When you trace a large fish and bring it close to the boat you cant afford to have the trace tangle or catch on anything in case you need to slip the trace and let the fish go. For this reason on trailer boats I'm all for wind on leaders as I do want the maximum. My set up is an 8-9 foot double with 19 foot wind on and then 9-10 foot leader. This allows for any stretch and still keeps it legal for record purposes.

Thanks Mark. I certainly wasn't thinking 30' trace.

I've only recently started using doubles to attach leaders but was just running them a foot or 2 on a bimini purely as an attachment method for the leader. Having discovered one of my donated lures had an 18' trace. It made me realise I hadn't really thought out the whole sizing piece.

I've re- tied with 9' plait double to wind on. And will standardise my leaders to nearer 7 or 8 ' (easier to manage solo)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Thanks Mark. I certainly wasn't thinking 30' trace.

I've only recently started using doubles to attach leaders but was just running them a foot or 2 on a bimini purely as an attachment method for the leader. Having discovered one of my donated lures had an 18' trace. It made me realise I hadn't really thought out the whole sizing piece.

I've re- tied with 9' plait double to wind on. And will standardise my leaders to nearer 7 or 8 ' (easier to manage solo)

Thanks for everyone's input.

Good set up for some light trolling.

If your throwing lures it will hav a significant impact on casting distance. Particularly light lures as it binds through the guides.