HAIRTAIL LIVE REPORT FROM THE HAWKESBURY 2015

mrsswordfisherman

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAIRTAIL WRAP UP

• There 49 members who said they would be joining us
  • 38 registered during the event - thank you to those that actually messaged me to say why they were not able to join us (note to members if you are not coming let us know prior to the event unless an emergency occurs )
  • never trust the weather reports - the whole 3 days were the best weather we have seen for our hairtail social yet
  • there were approximately 2 dozen hairtail caught
  • by catches included flathead, snapper, squid, garfish, salmon, whiting, eel and yellowtail

Prizes were awarded for

1st - largest measured $500 and an Occupational Health and Safety Cert 4 course (HBA Learning Centres)

2nd - runner up $125

3rd - mystery length $125

We have some very wonderful sponsors of fishraider. The three prizes were given by Harold Baldry of HBA Learning Centres. He is a very generous man and is one of the first 10 people to join the site.

The event started off with promises of weather extremes. Yarraone and mrsyarraone drove for hours and hours from Bathurst through the biggest snowfalls and road dangers in 29 years to get to us. Big effort guys and thank you very much.

With the mothership finally parked in Pinta Bay, swordie and I eagerly awaited the raiders arrival. One by one they came to the boat to register and meet us. We met some lovely people as we always do.

Scratchie turned up with his two young sons and brought us bread and rolls for members. He baked those all night before in his Baker's Delight shop at Port Stephens and delivered them to the mothership as arranged. Thanks Jeff you are a gem and raiders appreciated it.

Tef1on Ed cooked the breakfast on Sunday morning assisted by Scratchie - great work and thank you so much.

Everyone was well behaved :) as raiders always are!!! The fun is always had our on the water when everyone sits almost side by side and waits for a hairtail or two to wander by. The jokes and sledging are legendary at this event and anyone who has attended will tell you it is well worth it.

THE SWEENEY aka Laurie brought us updated fisheries books and info (is a volunteer and teaches kids to fish) thank you

Sunday morning some last minute captures were brought in just before the 8am cut off.

Harold and his wife Mimi were there and handed out the prizes

1st prize to Sean yarraone for his 1380mm

2nd prize to Tef1on Ed 1290mm

mystery size was 1050mm and the closest recorded with us was taken by Brandon Little Jnr Scratchie

Sean graciously accepted his prize and then shocked us all by donating it back. He provided everyone present with a ticket and pulled it out of a hat for a $100 lucky door prize - that was won by Seamus Sydneyfisher12.

He gave $100 to Anthony son of 4myson who at such a young age caught his first hairtail. Him and Sasha his Dad were there from the beginning and caught over 8 hairtail between them but the little bloke got sick in the middle of the night and went home. I contacted his Dad yesterday and he was thrilled and excited with the prize.

Sean's last prize was $50 to Ruth for the strangest capture of an eel.

The rest of the money Sean is going to get some fishraider boat stickers made us for us - stand by for these, guys

Sean is very happy to have the OHS course to attend at HBA Learning Centres

Thank you to Sean and Lisa in particular for helping me with all the work on the mothership. We made a lot of coffees, served cheese and bickies and even attended to first aid with a band aid :). These guys were great company and I am hoping they will be coming with us in years to come.

I will be adding more pictures in the next day or so

Hi all,

It was really good to meet everyone. Unfortunately we didn't get any hairtail this year but still had a great time.
Congrats to the winners and a big thanks to Stewie and Donna for making us feel very welcome.

We'll definately be back next year, hopefully with a catch or two to measure up!

Cheers,
Kevin

Guest 4myson

Thanks again guys for such a great event & for everyone being so welcoming to me & Anthony . Anthony is still so excited by his prize & even asked if he could take the iPad to school today to show everyone that he was mentioned on FISHRAIDER ! He spent last light going through all the latest fishing catalogues thinking what to buy with his prize money . Wife thought " Great , now I got Anthony thinking of how much more fishing gear he can buy !! " ( Like Father like son) ..

So thanks again guys & a special thanks to Sean & Lisa .....

Guest 4myson

What a great weekend with great people. My son said "Dad we caught nothing" I replied "we may have caught nothing but we left with plenty". See you all at the next fabulous social and a giant thanks to Donna, Stewie, the mods and every one who turned up on a cold and windy weekend dead smack in the middle of a freezing winter in Sydney.

Hey Harold , thanks for putting up the Prize money. Very Genorus ....It was a pleasure to meet you & your family Saturday night . Anthony was upset reading that you & your son missed out on capture . Saying "Dad we should have helped them " ... Not that I'm no expert on Hairtail, But if I could get Teflon Ed onto his 1st "Nothing is Impossible" !!!! ( just kiddin Ed )

But if you do decide to head back again while there still about send me a PM & me & Anthony would love to meet you out there for a Hairtail session ....

Hey Harold , thanks for putting up the Prize money. Very Genorus ....It was a pleasure to meet you & your family Saturday night . Anthony was upset reading that you & your son missed out on capture . Saying "Dad we should have helped them " ... Not that I'm no expert on Hairtail, But if I could get Teflon Ed onto his 1st "Nothing is Impossible" !!!! ( just kiddin Ed )

But if you do decide to head back again while there still about send me a PM & me & Anthony would love to meet you out there for a Hairtail session ....

That is very kind of you. We knew where the sweet spot was but if we had put our boat there it would have been very difficult for all the other boats who fished there. A boat like mine is 53 foot long and i have to put out 3 times the depth in chain so circa 30 meters of chain plus 17 metres of boat means we would swing in a radius of circa 50 metres in all directions. If you put a 100 metere circle on that spot, there wouldnt be much room for others. We will be back over the next weekend or 2 and we have caught our share of Hairy's. I do appreciate the generous offer and tell your son congratulations on his win. Next year the prize money will be bigger!!!!

Hey there Raiders,

Though my family and I had to pull out from attending the Hairtail social,

we did follow closely with all the reports, banter and photo's that were posted. it would of been brilliant to be there

but it was also great to be able to follow the social here on Fishraider. My daughter (Chantelle) was sad not to be there

but she got excited when she saw the pics of Jnr Scratchie and Anthony (4myson) Jnr with their catches.

Most of all we enjoyed the kindness and generosity shown,. not only from Stewie, Donna and our great sponsors,

but from the members towards one another. and it makes me proud to be a member of Fishraider.

Have a great day

Regards Dan, Anne and Chantelle

I know we are probably sounding like a broken record by now, but wow, what an amazing weekend.

Thank you to the swordies for putting on the awesome weekend and again, the wonderful people we met over the weekend, (you were all amazing) & congrats to the winners. Fingers crossed for an actual catch next year (grrrr bait stripping tease fishes) and Thanks to Amkr for taking me with you :)

And a special thanks to the hairtail, for picking such a beautiful place in the world for us to enjoy when we aren't trying to catch them all!!!

Edited by Squishy

Had a great time at the social.

Good to meet the swordies,scratchie and teflon, I spent some time sleeping for the night time and set up for the night fishing with no luck .

I am glad that Squishy and Amkr had a great time and was introduced to a new form of fishing, I think next year they will be right on the mark.

I had made some 4 gang traces for fishing and in the rush left them at home so I spent the daytime make new ones out of my tackle box and cubing up for the night time.

I caught several small bream over the weekend.

I had to leave early Sunday morning so I was not able to be at the BBQ breakfast however next year will be different. Congratulations to the winners.

norm

Fantastic images on the sounders, guys. It underscores that old saying, "a picture's worth a thousand words". There's a whole book when you combine the reports and the sounder images here. I'm going to be there next year, even if I have to swim to Jerusalem Bay and stow away in someone's bilge!

Can someone come back with a report on the cooking and eating attributes of these hairtail?

Guest no one

Nursie is right, those marks are exactly what we were seeing, but let me add a little insight, a lot of bait was present! With baited lines we were pulling up yakkas, squid etc.... We could see countless amounts of bait on the surface too at night in Sachas transom light.

So to find the hairtail we had lines at 2/4/6/8 meters off the bottom. It wasn't really to conclusive with the sounder and the bites!

I liked Tef1on's statement at one stage - we had a live yakka out and he said "all we are doing is increasing the yakka population down there, he's just swam back and hanging out with his mates".

Scratchie summed it up - it was almost the yakka social!

Just wanted to say my thanks as well for all the effort that went into organising this event. I was out there with my dad and brothers on the Grand Banks 36. Although we did not catch a hairtail this year we still enjoyed ourselves. The barn yard noises definitely was funny mid way through the night. We will be back again next year (may even try again another weekend very shortly)

See you all next time

Regards

Danny

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say my thanks as well for all the effort that went into organising this event. I was out there with my dad and brothers on the Grand Banks 36. Although we did not catch a hairtail this year we still enjoyed ourselves. The barn yard noises definitely was funny mid way through the night. We will be back again next year (may even try again another weekend very shortly)

See you all next time

Regards

Danny

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Good onya Danny! That was a nice boat you were on and I was very envious of your balcony heater that continued throughout the night! Sorry to hook up when I woke up for 5mins knowing you guys had been at it all night!

I'm sure we'll see you next hairtail social.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Guest stephanb79

Mooo baaaa moooo woof woof lol

That was funny i started the barn yard noise it got everyone going hehhehe