17th - 19th Tuna

galini09

Hoping they're gonna pop up over this weekend. Of course the shit weather is coming that we've got a few days off to fish.

Heading to bermagui to chase these bad boys but looking like we'll only be fishing sunday... Keep us up to date over the weekend at Sydney coz if they're still quiet down there we'll run back home to fish from sydney monday.

They say you have to cover ground could be 1000k's in the car this weekend trying to locate them.

Not much happening out there today, I started trolling off Kiama canyons and headed up to Browns and found nice temp breaks but didn't turn a reel all day. Heard of a few yellowfin and albacore getting caught around 4pm but not much else. Altimetry is no good out the front of Sydney at the moment but hopefully it changes soon.

I might be heading out on Monday off Sydney, i would liked to have gone out today, but too much work

i know a few ppl that were heading today, hopefully hear something soon on how they went

We may be out Monday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much happening out there today, I started trolling off Kiama canyons and headed up to Browns and found nice temp breaks but didn't turn a reel all day. Heard of a few yellowfin and albacore getting caught around 4pm but not much else. Altimetry is no good out the front of Sydney at the moment but hopefully it changes soon.

yeah right, another raider was out at browns today, he got some really big gemmies, but got nothing trolling, he said a few boats called in Albacore around Browns but didn't hear anyone call in any Yellowfin or Bluefin.

Yeah the altimetry off Sydney is so, so. I am probably gonna head out on Monday, I'd be happy with a few Albacore

im following ya guys, i'd be happy to turn a reel. Last three trips have been good for the boat turning over fresh fuel and thats about it. So some albies for the plate would be fine with us.

looking like we are heading out monday from sydney as one of our team has to be back monday.

i am only on VHF so if anyone wants to catch up in the morning and share a channel i'll see you out there monday.

im following ya guys, i'd be happy to turn a reel. Last three trips have been good for the boat turning over fresh fuel and thats about it. So some albies for the plate would be fine with us.

looking like we are heading out monday from sydney as one of our team has to be back monday.

i am only on VHF so if anyone wants to catch up in the morning and share a channel i'll see you out there monday.

no probs, we just use channel 21, our call sign is "happy hooker 2", I'm happy to broadcast to anyone if we come across fish

no probs, we just use channel 21, our call sign is "happy hooker 2", I'm happy to broadcast to anyone if we come across fish

Legend mate - we'll jump on 21 on monday and give happy hooker a yell if we find anything. boat name is Canyon Runner!

Everyone seems to worrying to much about altimetry at the moment. All the charts everyone is reading are nearly always 12-24hrs behind so you have to make some judgments for yourselves about where this water may be moving. We have caught plenty of good fish when the altimetry says that is should be a desert.. last week on Wednesday we hooked the 3 big bluefin and got 2 & yesterday still managed a yellowfin & albacore in water that wasn't meant to be fruitful. However if you checked the water temp charts there was good temp breaks in certain areas and these are where we caught the fish. Sometimes you can be just lucky.... but one thing i can confirm is that if you stayed tied up to the wharf because the altimetry looks bad your definitely going to catch nothing!

Weather looks crap for a few days but next week looks like a glamour and hopefully the currents will play the game and the fishing improves next week. We are out Friday weather permitting.

Cheers

Damo

A little bit off topic.......Went out yesterday from pittwater heading towards browns and heatons to chase tuna and got about 20km off long reef before we encountered this and two others that formed. It touched down 100m from us before we gunned it, and it intensified. Pretty interesting situation to be in!

post-33513-0-65241800-1437122424_thumb.jpg

post-33513-0-11255200-1437122653_thumb.jpg

post-33513-0-86914000-1437122968_thumb.jpg

Well I can now say Ive ticked one box that I don't want to tick again! The biggest ended up around 50m at its base and would have turned the boat over very easily. The weather also looked very unstable. We ended up turning back after radioing the boats at browns that day, and they reported 15+knots rain and lightning and getting worse......here's hoping we get another shot at the tuna!