Sydney Fireworks... how?

latindog

Did a search and can’t find anything on this, so here I ago, I’ve been wanting to have a boat for as long I can remember but for many reasons and the missus in the way with the budget I figure it was going to be impossible to get one in my lifetime, so the story goes that last year me and the missus are watching the fireworks on the TV and looking at all lights and the boats the missus made a comment how perfect it will be to be there in the water, that’s when the lightbulb appear in my head and the more she talked about it the more courage was building in me, so I did what every man does in these situations, the more I thought about it felt like hairs was growing on my chest, I told myself I’m the man here, the bread winner and I should get what I want when I want, so….. I got up…. made her a cup of tea and told her, honey you know that with our savings we can get a boat ourselves…!!!! :hug:

Cutting the story short I got the boat and the missus now is under the impression we are going to the Harbour this New Year’s eve and hello hello is arranging the kids to come, my question is how the heck I’m going to get the boat there now?, I’m doing my head in what ramp to go to, how busy is going to be and parking the trailer, what happens when it’s all over lining up at the ramp, forget Rosebay, so here I am asking if anyone here can give me some tips or had the experience being there and how to go about it pleas..... my ass and the missus will appreciated …!!!!

PS: The boat is a18.5ft BFG 80 liter tank if that helps…

Guest 4myson

We've done the last two years & it's been awesome . We are usually on the water by 10 am & just pull up on a beach somewhere where the kids can play till late arvo . Then we'll pick a spot & anchor up , get the BBQ Goin & just sit back & relax till the fireworks start . Keep in mind 4 knots is the maximum speed due to traffic around the harbour & they'll be plenty of water Police about to constantly remind you of that. I strongly recommend you spend the night on the water ( find a nice little bay ) as the queue back at the ramps do not clear up till around 4 am ....

Yes , the queue is in my mind, I thought of going early and pick up the family somewhere later but I never been there yet to know a good pick up point, I'll be coming from Campbelltown so I wonder what will be the best not so busy ramp, I guess I'll have to do one early morning Rose bay launch next month to get to know the area, someone said fenders are a must that day...

thanks for the advise..

Was there last NYE, Left home about 6PM, in the water at Roseville bridge 6:30 made my way to bradlis head. Parked just on the outskirt of the anchoring zone at 8:20, watched the 9pm fireworks with my Wife, Mother, 4year and 10 year old. After the fireworks, went to the ramp, loaded the boat and was home by 10:30. Easy peazy.

I have no clue how it looks when you stray for the 12:00 fireworks

MOST IMPORTANT: Life vests for the kids, then the night light !! Otherwise you will get sent home.

Edited by cameldownunder

I've done it several times, now in comfort and sleep for the night, but originally used to do it in my Nautiglass V150, and from Campbelltown.

So

All of what has been said above.

Boat ramps are the worse part of it, so think and check out before, use the ramp, have a day on the harbour with the family.

Check out the maritime website, they show where you can anchor.

Get comfortable with anchoring before the day. And remember, there is going to be a lot of boats, so be prepared to be very close to someone, and also as boats leave,me vigilant, as anchors can end up crossed over.

Think about position, from Campbelltown, I presume you will put in parramatta side of the bridge.

There are several vantage points that side of the river, and would be worth investigating as the run back to the ramp would be easier.

Eastern side of the bridge.....do NOT leave with the hordes when the police open it at 1am, it's chaos and dangerous. Be very careful particularly under the bridge, it ends up like the 'Perfect Storm' with waves going every where.

Hence the longer you wait the better.

With Kids on board travelling back, take it easy be vigilant, be prepared to turn the boat quickly so your bow first into a passing wake, don't scare them or the wife trying to run it side on.

The above is not to put you off, just to advise the cautions, I have had some great nights, and some of the best were in the 15' Nauti, with Chicken, Prawns friends and their young son

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate the advise guys looks like being prepared is the go here , I definitely will go for a cruse this month coming and check out ramps and drop off , sounds like the 9 o'clock show will be sufficient , I guess once there one can decide if is worth staying any longer , I'm set to give it a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by latindog

I rocked up to the boat ramp at drummoyne to see how it was like at 2am and it was chaos. I remember seeing this massive bayliner and the guys didnt know how to get it on the trailer. It was a good night to see what really happens. Afterr seeing that, I would definitely stay overnight in a bay.

I wonder how the silverwater or meadowbank boat ramp is on NYE. Might be ok. Not as busy as the closer ones.

Edited by locodave

Done it a couple of times. Never again.

2 hrs to get back to Manly navigating around idiots who are more intent on having a party rather than safe navigation of a vessel. Actually saw a cat doing 10 knots with no one at the helm.

Saw the que's at the boat ramp and a mate of mine waited 2.5hrs after get back to Manly to put his boat on a the trailer. Luckily our boat had a mooring, which some other goose had tied his boat up to and wast real happy about having to move it.

You'll see more on TV with a lot less hassle

Guest 4myson

If you plan on heading back & not do an overnight stay ,Definetly head back after the 9 o'clock fireworks . Any ramp after the Midnight fireworks is going to be Abosolute MAYHEM !! Even Silverwater & Meadowbank !!!!

I only ever did it once and it scared the life out of me. I had a 26 foot bayliner back in about 1978 and we stayed on the anchor after midnight, I looked up to see a large cruiser about to run over the top of us, I screamed at it and somehow he heard us and stopped very quickly. That was off Luna park in lavender bay, as I said, never again.

Good luck with it.