Interesting photo

I found this photo in a book on the history of Patonga. I thought some of you game fishos might like to see it - or maybe not depending on how this season is going.

The caption describes them as tunny fish, and that they were plentiful in Broken Bay.

It seems these fishermen worked from an open launch about 20-24 feet long, judging by the other photos.

Can anyone confirm what species they are ?

cheers

Arron

post-10394-0-56804000-1438300072_thumb.jpg

Edited by Volitan

could it be mack tuna, I am not sure if they grow that big, I have caught some mack tuna spinning about 15yrs back just inside the heads of Pittwater that would have gone around 8kg, they were in amongst schools of salmon

that photo shows how humans can really stuff things up, it would be amazing if you still got catches like that today

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Guest Guest123456789

This photo is really depressing. It makes you wonder if it could ever recover close to that point if commercial fishing was reigned in.

Guest no one

could it be mack tuna, I am not sure if they grow that big, I have caught some mack tuna spinning about 15yrs back just inside the heads of Pittwater that would have gone around 8kg, they were in amongst schools of salmon

that photo shows how humans can really stuff things up, it would be amazing if you still got catches like that today

My 9kg Mac tuna was no where near as big as them and 9kg is pretty much max size in NSW. I'd call long tail

Thanks guys.

Nthn blue its seems. Tuna in photos all look the same to me. I doubt there was much of a market for nthn blues at the time - and I got the feeling reading the context of the photo that this was more a novelty then a first rate earner for them.

I've always wondered about these old photos and what they tell us about fishing in the past. Did they take the photo because it was an exceptional catch for the time? Or was this nothing special? When we were kids, photography was expensive and the only time the camera came out was when we caught something exceptional. On the other hand, there were definitely several people at Patonga in the 30s and 40s who were interested in recording everyday life.

cheers

Arron

• 2 weeks later...