I have a kayak, now what?

krause

Hi all, i know have a kayak. It's nothing flash, but it's a start. Its a 3.7m long model and im keen to try it out. (I put it in the pool and had great fun moving back and forth) so i gues now its a question of now what?

Forget offshore, im not interested. Im looking at fishing the hacking, or pittwater, spots like that. I have a couple of free days coming up, tomorrow being one, and im keen to try it out. Only problem is the 10-15kn winds from the SW. Thoughts? I dont want to rush into it and be unsafe. I thought maybe audley, wallys wharf or maybe narabeen lakes? And just go for a paddle to test the waters. But how will wind affect me. Any current in these spots? Any warnings or alerts? All advise welcome, about anythinf and everything, i wish to learn. Am i better launching with the wind and finding shelter along that bank, or launching into the wind so if i get blown back ill be on the right back? And is 15kn winds hard to paddle in?

Cheers

I'm not a paddle boater but can offer this living in Cronulla.

The hacking is pretty protected in most situations. Unfortunately the fish are hard to find this time of year .

Drifts off mainbar could produce Flatties and I've found trevs off deer Park a regular hit on stick baits on the troll.

I think you'll find the fishing quiet but good practice.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Lol Krause! I hope your fit? Remember the further you go down stream, the further you have to paddle back! With winds like that I would try bobbin head and paddle up Cowan creek. Very protected area in winds. Good luck!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Mate you made a great suggestion

Day one pack a snack and a drink

Go for a Audley paddle

Learn the wobblies of your yac.

1 step at a time

(may be pack a rod if you must)(i would)

It is Gods country there up stream

JD

Hi Krause,

It's not the wind that's going to be your problem. It's going to be tidal flow. However, all is not lost. If you're looking to just get used to the new craft, launch a couple of hours before the turn of the tide and paddle and drift with the flow. At the turn of the tide, you could beach and have a snack and take care of your personals, and / or have a fish. Then relaunch and paddle back with the flow to where you put in. Best spots to do this in the Hacking are Wally's Wharf, or Swallow Rock.

As Scratchie suggested, Cowan Creek is very good as there is little tidal flow, and is protected from most winds. So is Deep Creek at Narrabeen Lake. There's a nice little reserve there where you can park, offload the yak and carry or roll it all of 15 meters to the water's edge. Very still and very quiet and you're never more than 20 meters from the shore. There's even some nice little EP's and flathead in there to chuck a lure at for an hour or so.

I'm off all next week, so if you want a buddy to help out and keep you company, give me a yell. I don't usually take the yak out in winter, but for a fellow Raider, I'm prepared to bend the rule.

Edited by GreyNurse

Hi all, i know have a kayak. It's nothing flash, but it's a start. Its a 3.7m long model and im keen to try it out. (I put it in the pool and had great fun moving back and forth) so i gues now its a question of now what?

Forget offshore, im not interested. Im looking at fishing the hacking, or pittwater, spots like that. I have a couple of free days coming up, tomorrow being one, and im keen to try it out. Only problem is the 10-15kn winds from the SW. Thoughts? I dont want to rush into it and be unsafe. I thought maybe audley, wallys wharf or maybe narabeen lakes? And just go for a paddle to test the waters. But how will wind affect me. Any current in these spots? Any warnings or alerts? All advise welcome, about anythinf and everything, i wish to learn. Am i better launching with the wind and finding shelter along that bank, or launching into the wind so if i get blown back ill be on the right back? And is 15kn winds hard to paddle in?

Cheers

Hi Krause,

You will have problems with the wind and tidal flow as mentioned.

If you have a swimming pool I strongley suggest that you try and perfect wet exits and how to get back on your kayak.

My wife and I have 2 seakayaks and kayak in rivers and the Hawkesbury system. We load up with our camping gear and paddle about 16-18ks per day then set up camp.

Have paddled from Buladelah to Hawkes Nest, around Moruya, Berowra to MarraMarra National Park and back to Berowra. We miss judged the tide and came back down Berowra Crk with a head wind and tidal flow against us. We are experienced Kayakers of some 30yrs experience I did not know that my wife knew the swear words as it was my fault. The air was blue with the words.

When I was in 1 Commando for 7yrs we were launch 5miles of Barrenjoey and paddled to Mangrove Bridge and back and had to estimate the tides as tidal flow can be very strong up to 6knts in some areas.

You must be able to do a self rescue I repeat you must be able to do a self rescue. Don't forget you are fishing and will have some burley out and there are biteys down below so you must be able to get back in quick.

Enjoy your kayak and be safe.

norm

At BCF they sale a small plastic anchor, (very cheap)I had this on my kayak with a good length of rope, very handy to have if you want to stay on a good spot , my tip on this is if the current is strong have the anchor fixed at either ends and not on the side of the kayak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers guys. I do have a 1.5kg anchor and an anchor trolley which i used yesterday, deffinately worth having.

I flipped a coin and went with scratchies advise and drove to bobbin head. I have never understood why all you boating people complain about jackets... untill now. THEY ARE A PAIN!!! That's all i could catch, but i did find some sand flats with about a metre of water on them. I was cruising along just watching the world go by when j saw the biggest flathead ive ever seen! Easily pushing 1m and a good 200mm across the shoulders. It was simply majestic, and with the clarity of the water i just followed it, casting everything i had. But it simply want hungry. Deffinately would have had to release it, but would have loved the challenge!

Other than that it was more jackets. This trip made me realise how much i now have to learn, lure fishing in deaper water is something ive never done. Time to learn. Im intrigued by the words of some fellow kayak fishermen, who talked of jews on blades! Im very excited, thankyou all for the advise, and if you've got anymore if love to hear it!

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Also, more questions. Sorry guys. Transporting kayaks, i have mine inverted on on a set of roof racks, but the racks are about 1m apart and the yak is 4m long, is this healthy. Should i create a frame to support its length.

And... because i have a cheap kayak, which goes briliantly might i add, the paddle is.... less than desirable. ITS C#@&!!!! I think it's to short (2220mm) and it empties sooo much water into the yak. I ended up soaked. So what makes a good paddle and where can i get a decently proceed one?

Cheers once again

Buy yourself a set of kayak holders that fit on to the roof racks. You won't regret it. If your racks are the Rhino brand even better. With the paddle and water in the yak issue do you have the rubber stoppers on each side of the handle to stop the water running onto you?

Looking on ebay there called a drip ring.

Edited by ambrose607

I was originally going to buy a set (rhino) second hand, but now im afraid i cant lift the kayak into them. I can get it on the riff but no higher. I know rhino make kaysk loaders that i could make an imitation of...

The paddle has inbuilt stoppers. But the problem isn't the "drip" of water, the paddle throws half a cup of water across the kayak with each scoop. It's poorly designed, ill send some images through. It has ribbing which holds alot of water

Great stuff Krause. A good spot to launch, not much tidal flow and some pretty scenery! Unfortunately jackets can be everywhere. Down there your generally a chance of some salmon and trevally too! Great sporting fish from a yak!

The best thing about a yak is yet to come.........SUMMER!!! Enjoy :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

I have one of those universal side loading bars (Rack and Roll is the name), and they are fantastic. My yak is only 20kg and 3 meters, but the bar just makes it a breeze to load and unload it. Rhino and Thule make them for their specific racks, as well. Shop around

Your paddle length sounds about right, but it could be your blade angles that are the problem. I get some water on me, but that's be expected. I don't paddle in the "classic" manner. I just watched some Youtube vids to get an idea. Then I just go out an plod along. However, I keep my blades orientated the same as each other. Your paddle should allow you to twist your blades a full 180 degrees about. Many paddlers offset their blade angles about 45 degrees give or take. I've watched those guys and girls go, and they really move along and hardly get wet at all.

Hey Krause

I love the J rack, have a smaller car and it is easy, though have a hurricane santee sport so it's light weight.

Fish Narrabeen lake a bit, catch very little, many more raiders haul in a lot more than me. Rarely in the kayak but keen to try. Pity really considering I am two minutes walk from the lake PM me if you want to have another rookie tag along.

When you see the sun set over the lake and it's a mirror, you quickly forget about fishing! Summer seems a lot better for me fish wise, pretty slow for me this winter.

Sometimes I go yakking and fish, something I go fishing in the yak.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi mate, I use a thule side loading rack, i think it's called a hullavator. You can probably youtube some videos. It has assisted lifting. Makes loading and unloading my hobie (which is around 32kg) much easier for me. I used to use the rack and roll but switched over due to the weight of my kayak and my dodgy shoudler. Note you should check to make sure the maximum width of your yak will fit beforehand. You might be doing this already, but make sure to tie down the front and back of your kayak as well when you have it loaded on your roof racks. I've seen one almost slip out on the freeway in heavy winds.

Get some bungee cords to strap down your gear/leash your rod in the event of strong winds, capsizing or if a fish pulls your rod out of the holder (has happened to me before) so you don't lose all your gear. Might also want to invest in a dry bag to keep your valuables protected.

The other thing which made life easier for landing fish in the yak was a knotless mesh landing net - good for catch and release because minimises harm to the fish and protects you from spikes when it's on the yak. Only problem is if you have the net standing up in a holder it will act like a sail in strong winds so you sometimes need to lie it and strap it tight.

I mostly yak in the georges and hawkesbury. Occasionally the port hacking. Give me a shout sometime if you want some company.

Joe

Hi guys, some great advise. Just small things that will help greatly. Its safe to say i have the bug!!!

Tomorrow I have to go to the airport, so why not kayak! Port hacking is slow at the moment but does anyone have any ideas, ill probably launch at qallys wharf. Only because i know is possible to load the kayak solo there. Ill stay west of the sand bar as i dont want to be anywhere near that current. I might just cruise around with done pillies and see what goes. Cheers guys

I haven't been fishing much in the past month or so, but ive heard that is been hard lately. And man i have to agree!

A whole day out there for nothing but a few hookups on lures, all of which i failed to land! Pleasant enough day though. I optimistically trolled a live mullet around, it only attracted a sea eagle. It had a few gashes in its tail so i guess it was harassed by something

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, another trip out and some fish in the yak. Safe to say i dont regret my decision. But now im shore bound for a while because of "responsabilities".... pfftttt

So now im just thinking and planning. I've bought some add on and done a bit of an upgrade. Ive also added removable false walls in the body of my yak to stop things sliding out of reach. Ive made a floating anchor line spool. Etc.... ive kept myself busy. And now im thinking of where to go and all the rules. I bought a pfd 50 as it suites my needs well abs that's all the safety great ill need (excl. Night trips). I was looking at what input people had about water way rules. In particular the harbor, the hawksbury/pittwater area and port kembla. Things like no anchor zones or no go zones. Or any where i can find a book explaining it all!

Also any other modifications people have made to there kayaks? Im just trying to scratch the itch because i cant wet it [emoji14]

Cheers guys