my life

Jay88

Just needed a place to vent. A rookie who always wanted to be a good fisherman..someone in the aquarium hobby for 10 years and i honestly either suck or just dumb lol

Got my first rod today for beach fishing. Shimano 8kg rod 12 ft and 8000 long reel shimano. Used pilchard as bait at cogee...line messed up...while wheeling in after 2nd cast...no idea how... as i said before none of my mates do proper fishing so im basically at it alone and wish someone around sydney could show me the ropes...so depressed after spending $300. zzzzzz

The first time I went fishing, my wife caught more than me (I caught nothing) and even now if she just holds my rod she catches more than I do.

There are many in this forum who would love company and am sure you could join them. Coogee might not be the best place to start as it is crowded and fish scare easily. Whilst you wait for someone I suggest you try to find less crowded beaches or Google this forum to see which beaches are firing. Buy worms to start with. There are some smaller shops which sell live worms or beach worms are available from most shops. These would be good starting points butnot sure which rod you have (shimano ????) or if you can cast these easily. A running sinker rig and light trace using a swivel would get you started with smaller fish. The outfit you have sounds heavy however it becomes a waiting game with pillies. With the crazy winds today am not surprised the line got messed up. I was up in Newcastle and decided against dropping a line. Don't forget burleying.

Thanks for your kind words Flathead...and Vendee, isn't that why you married her? haha...but yeah feeling a bit better...might have picked the wrong time, wrong place...Coogee did have a very strong surf yesterday.

Jay88. Don't lose hope mate. Fishing is like that. Regarding your line "messing up" you didn't say whether it's mono or braid. I assume you put it on the reel under tension. Anyway keep going...there's plenty of fish in the sea. Neil.

OK Jay, I've got 12 days of freedom left before I start a new job, so I'm your man. I love beach fishing. Never do enough of it and need an excuse to do more. When is a good time for you?

NURSEY!! You legend! Mate messaging you my details now! xD Oh and yeah its mono :P shop keeper stared at me for a bit when i got it in to fix. xD