Cloud cover on SST charts

SeaHuffKing

Why is it on Rip charts you get constant near total cloud coverage.

Eg it appears to have been pretty cloudless conditions for the last few days, but looking at the Granule SST it is still 90% cloud cover showing.

Makes being a subscriber pretty pointless really!

P.S how was the game fishing over the week-end?

I have not been to sea for a month, but even on these cloudless days, and more often in winter, there is always cloud cover out past the shelf. I don't know, but I'm guessing something to do with warmer water offshore than air temperatures onshore.

Simple weather lesson, The clouds on the shelf are caused by the water you are steaming over to get to Browns or wherever. Clouds form by evaporation. Water turns to steam and rises hitting the dew point. The warm air is now cool and fills with water vapour and bingo a cloud. Rains, process starts again Simple.

Now you know this you can convert that cloud to water temps and currents. You see that line of cloud in front of you and you know its warm water, but if you know your cloud types, they denote the temp breaks. Im not going to tell you what cloud means what water temp your gunna have to figure that out yourselves!

Edited by finin

Simple weather lesson, The clouds on the shelf are caused by the water you are steaming over to get to Browns or wherever. Clouds form by evaporation. Water turns to steam and rises hitting the dew point. The warm air is now cool and fills with water vapour and bingo a cloud. Rains, process starts again Simple.

Now you know this you can convert that cloud to water temps and currents. You see that line of cloud in front of you and you know its warm water, but if you know your cloud types, they denote the temp breaks. Im not going to tell you what cloud means what water temp your gunna have to figure that out yourselves!