1st Yellow Fin

dogbox

Went out on Sunday with my mate Nathan in his 5.5m fiberglass

Turn out of the harbor through the heads took a wave over the nose we both questioned if we would continue to the shelf. Persistence paid off and we started a spread at 300m trolled around the car park at browns listening to channel 21 sounds like some great catches on the bottom and plenty of sharks in the chum trails.

Headed SSE zig zagging looking for bait or blips on the sounder at about 15nm from Browns we elected to head east just after 11am the water temp increased from 19.9 to 20.3-4.

The shot goes OFF!!!!! the biggest rod real set on the boat bent over 90 degrees, we both looked at each other with a stair that seem like an eternity. Then the brain started working and we knew we had to get happening, get the other lines in store the rods out of the way, wheres the belt, all while the reels screaming taking line !!!

Then who's going to suite up for this, neither of us wanted the responsibility of loosing it. Nathan steps up, belts up and cant get the rod out of the holder, together we eventuate all set up, Fight on!!!

Next 30 minutes of stand up fishing sloppy seas driving back and forth port to starboard fish planning down letting line out driving away WATCH THE PROP!!! it was all going down.

Nathan "get the gaff i have colour" I pull the gaff out "u call that a gaff" that's for landing a 4kg salmon.

Then it happen BIRDS NEST we got one chance to get this fish Nathan wraps his hand around the leader halls the fish to the surface I go in with the gaff, GAFF in fish shaking mad, both of us wrestling on the side of the boat

we landed it "EPIC" absolute high lite of my life. 35 kg YFT

Dogbox

post-19822-0-58226000-1439162321_thumb.png

Edited by dogbox

Well done fellas! Great story and an even better result. It's funny, because all the planning you do for a trip and then targeting a fish but when you finally hook up, KAOS!

A skipper I go gamefishing with always says......

"It's 95% waiting for that 5% mayhem"

But how exciting it is! Great work! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

well done, yeah in hindsight we should have headed more SE rather than heading east, we were in warmer water all day with hardly any temp breaks

hey I was walking past the fish shop at North Sydney train station the other day, they had yellowfin for $59.99 a kg, its going be worth more than gold soon!

congrats guys, enjoy the sushi :)

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Thanks for your best wishes

Still coming down from the high lights, what lure i have no idea but Nathan said it was the one we got the 13 kg Dolly on few months back.

I know nothing about lures I just by what looks good

dogbox

• 2 weeks later...