Southern canyons Monday

Overdraft

After having numerous issues getting a crew for Sunday I decided to take a solo run on Monday. My first long distance solo run that is.

Put the boat in at gentalmens hrs and powered straight to the canyons.

Started a spread and headed SE untill I found the temp break in 500 ftms 19.9 going down to 18 over a mile

I worked the break for a few hrs and had one hook up but by the time I turned the boat around and got the other rods in on my own I had dropped the fish.

The westerly was making like uncomfortable at 15-20 knots over the shelf and I didn't fancy punching into that all the way home in the dark on my own so I bailed about 4 pm for a very bumpy ride back over the shelf.

Now I could be crazy but when I got home and was cleaning my gear it looks to my my hook up was a marlin... I was using a brand new lure which now has a bill raked trace, scratched head and bent hook tip.

Lots of birds out and the odd bit of bait splashing about. Might get out again on the weekend if I can get a leave pass.

Cheers

We had a similar day yesterday.

Saw a free swimmer smashing up some bait, hooked up to it briefly before it dropped the skirt.

Oddly enough found an albacore in similar water.

Berleyed on browns for a Mako and got donuts despite a good size shark coming up the trail after a few hours.

Sure was a strange day on the water.

The radio was very quiet.

I didn't see another boat all day!!

bummer about the fish, that's a great break you found, I wish we headed south on Sunday.

I've done 3 trips offshore solo, I know what its like when its windy and you hook-up, you have do a big arch to point the boat downwind, otherwise you are asking for a big mess

I got no auto-pilot either so it's hard to set the spread as well, but hey if you want fish you just do it

I reckon for every unsuccessful trip your closer to a good trip :)

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures