sambos on fly

jimmy72

its been months since i got the boat wet (shame), but i finally went out for a quick run Saturday morning. A bit of a sleep in with the plan to fish the run out at the heads for sambos.

We were not disappointed the sambos were working hard but very fussy, scored a few on fly after i changed from a med sized surf candy to a 3ms eyes fly,my mate fishing a small SP hooked up three times; busted off once (didn't set his drag lol) and pulled the hook on two more one was def. foul hooked ( scale on the hook), and the other opened the hook, but suspect it was foul hooked as well

In the end i stopped fishing and drove the boat as best i could to get my mate in the perfect spot to get a hook up, he must have put 50 casts with the SP through the right places & retrieving in the right direction for nothing. for the last 15 minutes we even tried an eyes fly 1m behind a sinker and still couldn't score, but he wasn't the only one , the other fly fishers out there got a few but the guys casting hard bodies and chucking pillies didn't seem to get anything (that i saw)

mate now tells me he will be practicing his fly casting for the next few weeks and be leaving the spin gear at home ... i told him to practice casting standing on a basket ball as that's pretty much whats its like with the back wash off the rocks

fun morning and home in time for lunch with a grin on my face - if your looking for some fun and singing drags get out there

cheers

grant

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a bit of fun! It's something I've wanted to do for a while. I remember finding a pattern once online for eye flies but can't for the life of me find it again. Do you have a link to the pattern? Seems to me that they are only used in Australia and so don't show up much in searches

Awesome thanks mate! The link you shared was broken but I managed to find the article with your help. http://www.fishnet.com.au/flyswap/articles/eyesfly.html

I've just realised all it was was an extra full stop at the end of the link.

I'm still pretty new to flyfishing and fly tying but just ordered a bunch of saltwater tying materials to get ready for summer. I've probably read about the eye flys on here before and always wanted to try tying them.

Hopefully this year I'll be able to spend a bit of time with salt and fly. Just waiting on a replacement rod from redington at the moment haha

• 4 weeks later...

PS thanks for the credit nick :clapping: , i didnt really "invent" it... more so i used, (or is it stole lol) a couple other peoples ideas and put them in one fly :biggrinthumb:

white or grey BMS flies work really well on the salmon too, most fly shops stock them

PPS are the salmon still around im just back form a months holiday so not sure what's going on at nth head?