Portland barrels

Raysway

55 big southern blue fin tuna barrels have been caught in the past 7 days. They are still been caught, Paul a mate of mine living in Melbourne did 7 weekend (4.5hr drive) trips to portland in search of the elusive SBT BARRELS, he decided to do a last trip before the boat goes up for sale.

Hooked up this morning and fought the fish for 3hrs 15min, with no energy left in him , after raising the fish several time before it goes down deep again and again and now only 3 feet away from a gaff shot

"BUST", the black Dacron at the end of the wind on leader gave way.

I probably would of cried lol. But hey that's fishing I guess.

So his decided to extend his trip and give it another crack tomorrow. The fish was estimated to weigh well over 100kgs.

Good luck Pauli.

Yeah, i'd be in need of some serious counseling after something like that. Best of luck to him breaking the hoodoo today.

On a positive note, at least it was only a 3hr 15min fight, imagine being this guy http://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Fishing/The-one-that-got-away-19hr-fight-with-200kg-Tuna_9484028.aspx

R

I would have no problem bursting into tears, right there and then! And for the next week to be honest!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, his taken off all the wind on leaders, and his on his 4.5 hr drive back to portland to fish again tomorrow.

I will post up if he has any luck.

All this week over 10 barrels are caught each day, the locals are raving on that they've never experienced a season like this in history, I think the biggest caught so far was weighed in at 156kgs, two days ago.

Due to work commitments I was unable to fish this season, but next year I'll be there with cow bells.

I fished yesterday and fought a barrel for just over 1.5 hours. The fish was at the boat 3 or 4 times but just outta gaff range. Well over 100kg! Was fishing just over the button on 37kg and backed off when the fish was close to the boat for obvious reasons. The fish had just about given up and was 30 foot under the boat, slowly crackin it up when pop!! My heart sunk! Found the mainline popped when the double meets the windon. The loop to loop connection let go. The dacron cut through brand new 80!! Not very happy at all. Doubt ill be using windons again for barrels...