Another newby, what sized boat should one buy for NSW open waters?

Milt

Hi all,

I have just moved across to the ACT after spending 2.4 years in Darwin and 4 years in Perth. I'm looking to buy a boat next year and was wondering how big does one have to go, to comfortably manage the chop in NSW south coast open waters.

In Perth a boat over 7.5m was considered necessary due it always been windy, to make the ride out more pleasant on an ordinary day, what would you recommend here?

I'm wanting to fish all year round and was also wondering is it too cold in winter for an open boat, and what fish fire up in winter that are worth the effort targeting both estuary and open water?

Thanks in advance Milt,

Sounds like you've plenty of experience. And Im an amature. But to state the obvious. Size isn't everything.

Hull design is just as important.

Good dead rise and and sharp front end if heading off shore. Will obviously give better speed to cover ground to get there and back . But balanced to comfort is important.

How far out and how big a waters are you wanting to tackle?

Edited by NaClH2OK9

I think i'll settle on 5.5m and will limit my offshore trips to 15km out on those glorious days maybe 20km in another boats company. I'd love to hit a few albacore and bottom bounce some deep reef out there. One thing i will do is practice tackling the bar with a professional a number of times and get to know my boats capabilities intimately before attempting my first crossing.

i've driven a few boats in calm conditions and done allot of offshore fishing but never owned a boat. I think its about time and am looking forward to gaining as much experience as i can.

Another consideration is the weight of the boat. A heavier boat (glass or heavy plate) will give you a better ride offshore but if your towing from ACT to Narooma and back on a regular basis you might do better with a lighter aluminium.

Not as good a ride but can use a smaller tow vehicle, have a smaller outboard and is a lot easier to launch and retrieve if on your own.

In Canberra you can join Canberra fishermans club they have fishing trips and weekends away, might be able to get some useful information from locals who fish the local area.

Bruce

Guest Guest123456789

I'm saving for my first boat.The other option to aluminium or fibreglass is polyurethene. From the research I've done and considering you're looking to go offshore the 'warrior' or 'frontier' half cabin might be worth considering.

If you believe the marketing, they are meant to be similiar weight to fibreglass but more durable. They are also meant to flex a bit meaning the ride is smoother and the lifespan of polyurethene is longer than fibreglass or aluminium. Hope this helps.

I think the Polycraft is polyethylene not polyurethane. You didn't mention the Narooma Bar in your first post which puts a different complexion on things. It's one of the most dangerous bars on the NSW coast. Even charter boats have come to grief there. Normally I'd say at least 5.3m would be enough for outside but considerably bigger would definitely be safer for bar crossing You want some sort of structure up front - a cuddy cabin would be sufficient and plenty of horsepower (ie near the maximum rating)

Milt, you are probably aware that Narooma is among the most dangerous bars to cross on the East coast. Make sure you do whatever you feel is necessary before tackling it on your own. Naturally the usual precautions... weather forecast, tide, wind and logging in with Coastguard are essential. Good luck with your boat search.

• 2 years later...

I've taken boats through the bar for years, it's not as bad as you may think most of the time. I used to take my Haines 3.85 to the shelf from Narooma bar and my little formula 15 ( upgrade ) as far as the sea mounts on good days. 

Here's how the bar can catch people out ( I filmed this trying out my daughters new compact ).

Edited by JonD

get a good viking seafarer been going out of that bar for a long time my mates live there even my parents lived there my dad used to go out ib a savage 4.5 mtr boat but he lived near he boat ramp and could pick and chose his days older bro lived in dalmeany used the ocean ramp at dal been out of there a few times as well.been all the wal to the kink in a viking great sea boat just be carefull comming in dont go over the wave in frount of you just follow it all the way in on its back.

jim

JonD,

Thanks for the video.

One question. We saw boats heading in, but how the hell do you pick your time to go out.

As you showed, there are times where it's quiet and calm and next thing you know, within seconds there are massive waves. How do you get out and how would you manouvre if you started to head out and got the timing wrong?

1 tip for the bar dont go out on last half of the run out with a wind blowing will stand the waves up i have been going out of there since 1988 and at time i have turned around and went to catch flathead and others in the inlet some good spots there also catching jews at night dad and older bro used to catch heaps at night but that was some years ago 

one time even had a yellow fin tuna in my burley trail it was caught a few weeks later by a local 

havent been for about 7 years now mates still live there must go

jim