what was that in Manly Dam

ginko

Headed down to manly dam for a quick evening session with the fly. Casting a brown/olive wooly bugger in close to the reeds, and pulling up little redfin perch pretty regularly.

But tonight, after the rain, I cast into some pretty shallow water (~1m) where a little stream empties into the dam, landing the fly right at the edge of the reeds. I let the fly sink down to near the bottom and stripped back in quickly (which the reddies seem to favour) and got a massive hit from something that bit straight through my 12lb leader. A very clean cut through, too. The fly (not the one the picture) was brown with a bit of gold tinsel tied in, and weighted with a few wraps of lead.

Any thoughts what that might have been, and how I could land one?

Also, the week before, I was fishing the edge of some lily pads, and saw a fish jump up through the lily pads - it would have been about 35cm long and fairly fat looking - any thoughts on that?

post-8116-0-04921700-1441536776_thumb.jpg

Hey mate,

Fisheries release 10,000 bass into manly damn back in 2011 so guessing that answers your jumping fish mystery. As for what snipped your 12lb? Its getting ridiculous where those sharks are showing up these days... Probably worth giving the telegraph a call :1prop: Or it could have been an eel maybe?

Cheers,

R

there are certainly eels in the dam - I see them swimming at the edges pretty regularly - rather oogly things. but I doubt that's what bit me off - it was more like a big fish strike, so my money would be on bass, but I'm not sure whether bass' dental equipment is so sharp. will try again tonight (tied some new flies)

• 3 weeks later...

Those bass have sharp gill rakers, sharp turn and headshake and its all over

+1 and the jumping fish was most likely a Carp as Bass don't free jump like that.

Edited by Dave_

• 1 month later...