Thompsons Creek Dam

aeb870

Hey Raiders,

Finally getting some time to myself since our baby girl was born, I met up with my cousin and we drove out to Thompsons Creek Dam for the first time. Due to commitments, we didn't leave Sydney till after lunch and arrived at about 3.30pm.

Having only fished freshwater less than half a dozen times and my cousin never fished freshwater previously, we had very little knowledge between us - but thanks to all the fishraiders and their advice, we felt like we knew exactly what to do!!

Even though we watched a few huge browns cruise in close to the dam wall, after chatting to a fisherman we weren't very optimistic as he told us how it's been slow lately. We walked about 1km or so down the west side of the dam, having frequent casts along the way with no luck. We kept coming across huge rainbows in pairs, but they weren't interested at anything we threw at them.

After no success, nor a follow and with the sun almost gone we decided to turn around and walk back with some pace to safely find our way to the car. Spotting another teasing school of large rainbows, I decided to have one last cast and my Tassie Devil (Colour: Pink Lady) was taken after 2 winds but not by the larger fish. Not caring at the time, and a little while later I land my first NSW rainbow trout at 34cm. The walk back to the car was extremely hard barely seeing a few feet in front of us.

Sorry about the lack of photos, but it just wasn't working out with the lack of lighting. Overall it was very exciting, and I hope to return again in the coming weeks and try and land a larger model and maybe the fish are in a more corporative mood.

Thanks again to all the advice from everyone, really appreciated.

Good job man, trout are picky feeders. Sometimes if they won't hit lures in those waters, try leave some powerbait out, light weight, then about 15cm of leader to your bait, i usually have one i leave with a bait out and then fish with lures on other rod. This often coaxes out the fussy ones and has got me some good trout!

Good job on the trout,

Tag

Good job man, trout are picky feeders. Sometimes if they won't hit lures in those waters, try leave some powerbait out, light weight, then about 15cm of leader to your bait, i usually have one i leave with a bait out and then fish with lures on other rod. This often coaxes out the fussy ones and has got me some good trout!

Good job on the trout,

Tag

I'm pretty sure you can't use bait in that dam. I would check the dpi site.

There isxa big dog at the carpark outlining the rules for this dam. Al mcburnie had put a lot of effort into keeping this dam open so do the right thing! Includes staying off the wall no matter how tempted you may be by big cruising fish now I have to admit auto correct got the better of me there is no big dog at the carpark it's s big sign haha! And signs on the dam wall! And there's no wading allowed there are 70 foot deep drop offs in some places and you cannot always see them!

Edited by luderick -angler

There isxa big dog at the carpark outlining the rules for this dam. Al mcburnie had put a lot of effort into keeping this dam open so do the right thing! Includes staying off the wall no matter how tempted you may be by big cruising fish

It seems like a great fishing location with simple rules to follow.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk