Simrad / Lawrence structure scan 3D

NaClH2OK9

Just found this. Coming out in December.

Three-Dimensional Underwater Views with StructureScan® 3D

July 21, 2015

StructureScan® 3D lets anglers gain a better understanding of where fish and structure are located in relation to their vessel.

“With StructureScan 3D, boaters can search for fish and underwater structure like never before,” said Leif Ottosson, CEO and president, Navico. “With the addition of StructureScan 3D to our NSS and NSO evo2 range, we will change the way people use their multifunction displays. Giving offshore anglers a unique three-dimensional view of fish, structure and bottom contours maximizes their time on the water. With the remarkably clear views boaters can also easily identify diveable wrecks and ideal anchorages.

Simrad® StructureScan® 3D givesboaters and fishermen a unique three-dimensional underwater view of the ocean floor, its structures and fish suspended in the water. The picture-like views are displayed on the Simrad NSS evo2 and NSO evo2 echosounders/chartplotters, when used in combination with the SideScan 3D Skimmer® transducer and StructureScan® 3D module.

In addition to outstanding crystal-clear imaging, StructureScan 3D has exclusive features that make finding fish even easier including:

Leading Edge™ scanning reference provides a clear graphical illustration of the sonar beams as they intersect with the bottom contours and gives the angler a better sense of target depth.

SelectScan™ water column target coloring automatically shades fish-holding cover and suspended targets in a color that contrasts the selected color palette, making target identification quicker and easier than ever before.

Vertical Depth Enhancement provides emphasis to vertical drops and crucial depth contour changes making them easier to identify relative to the surrounding underwater terrain.

The 3D Waypoint Overlay makes it easy to revisit fishing areas, structure and other underwater sweet spots. Use the waypoint keypad to save a waypoint at the boat location or switch to cursor mode and save a waypoint over specific targets, baitfish schools or cover.

StructureScan 3D sonar provides multiple viewing options including boosted DownScan Imaging™, even more detailed StructureScan HD and the new revolutionary three-dimensional views. Using virtual point-of-view angles or ScanTrack™ pan-tilt-rotate control, anglers can combine custom HD and 3D views to increase situational awareness and search fishing areas as never before.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Lawrence and simrad come out with new models alternate 12 months. So always one in front of the other. But check the specs.

I. E. Screen res. Processor. Inbuilt items like structure scan ect ( 3d) scan.

Simrad is a higher quality item from a materials perspective. But the software is pretty much identical.

As has been said. Whatever you get. Next week something else will be out.

I'm very happy with simrad as they keep bringing updates out. But I imagine other manufactures do similar.

Anyway. Back to topic.

Dear 3D. Santa........

Edited by NaClH2OK9

Yeah it's very clever marketing.

Stylistically the simrad unit does look a little nicer, not that it's really a deciding factor.

They seem to have really leaped ahead of the competition with this one, I think it's put all the others on the back foot a bit, I think they'll be scrambling to come up with a comparable technology over the next 12 months.

One thing I haven't seen anywhere is the depth&speed limit for the 3D scan. It's all well and good unless you're stuck doing 1 knot to get a clear 3D image. I think if you can get a decent reading at around 10knt then it's a very effective bit of kit, any less and it progressively starts to become more of a hassle to use.

If they were clever they would do something like navionics does and use the 3D scan data to build their own ocean floor mapping, I think it might benefit them.

Either way, after playing with the hds unit at the boat show its my preferred sounder to stick on my imaginary boat!

• 2 years later...
20 minutes ago, TSCTSC said:

Looks really nice. Is this structure scan useful or just a gimmick?

What do I need to buy to get this capability of structure scan? Does the Go7 alone with the total scan transducer allow structure scan? 

Mate this is quite an old thread, yes for some of us it can be extremely useful. I also dive so the detail I get over shallower ground bellow 40m is fantastic. Here's a few images from my sidescan, I'm not to bothered about 3 d as sidescan is good enough.

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG