You can't' be serious

ambrose607

Hi Raiders. Went down to La Perouse for a bit of sight seeing and relaxation last week. Walking along the beach i came across some large cuttlefish backbones approx 250mm x75mm. I picked up around a dozen pieces as i have avaries and birds love them. I gave some to a professional bird breeder who i deal with and he informed me it's against the law to collect it from the beach. Apparently fines apply . Anyone ever heard about this

Edited by ambrose607

This country was built on convict heritage and the eureka stockade, our forefathers would have your balls if they thought you wouldn't take home a cuttlefish from the shoreline for fear of some alleged council by law.

Oh and it's ok to take them if it's alive but not ok if they're dead??? You're birds will love you.

Rant over.

Only guessing but he has probably been told he cant collect them and sell them commercially and then taken that to mean its illegal to collect them at all. I would think selling them commercially might come under the Fisheries Management Act/Reg needing licensed suppliers same as selling of seafood? Never heard of anything that would stop you taking them for personal usage.

Cheers,

Rich

The is nothing about it on the DPI website. Secondly if it's not a fisheries issue who would be responsible for it. As Stevefish said there is a bag limit on catching live cuttlefish so how could possession of the cuttle be illegal.

Mr Squidy could be on the right track about the collection and sale for commercial purposes requiring some sort of licence.

Edited by boattart