NEW RADIO QUALIFICATION NOW LAUNCHED

mrsswordfisherman

Raiders the new long awaited Australian Waters Qualification (AWQ) has been launched today

Please watch the video below and check out the attached fact sheet http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Spectrum Licensing Policy/Fact sheets/PDF/AWQ fact sheet_final pdf.pdf

We are talking with an RTO re these quals

https://youtu.be/bfLthXxij_g

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks swordie. Just a quick question.

I recently purchased a 2 way radio that has DSC. Is this the course you need to do in order to receive some number to activate it (from what I understood) as I went to register and it asked for some number?

Also, what happens if you're more than 12 nautical miles?

Sorry, just a novice and rather ask than be sorry later.

• 10 months later...

I have recently studied through an online course for a SROCP license and wanted to sit the exam. I am consistantly getting over 95% in the online trial exams on the AMC site. After sending emails to the only 2 invigilators in my town and waiting 2 weeks for a reply from one of them he informed me I could enroll in the VMR course that he runs. No course planed at the moment but I could put my name down. I replied again telling him I had done an online course and only needed to complete the exam. I have waited 4 weeks now and received no reply. I guess if I don't want to pay for his course that he is not interested in letting me sit the exam. The other guy seems to not exist anymore.

Are the administrators of this system serious about people getting a marine radio license, as I am at a loss now as to how I should go about getting tested. The whole system seems to be a joke to me as I am now left with no options to be legally licensed. I live in a major coastal Qld town, not a small backwater, and am stunned that this could be so difficult. Why is this testing left to back yard operators and not an official government department that can be accessed by all, at anytime with ease.

My 2 options, as I see it, is to travel hundreds of kilometres to be tested elsewhere, if I can find someone who will let me do the test, or join the countless boaties that do not give a flying hoot about a license and operate it anyway. Option 2 looks the goods.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Sigma said:

Same here.

Would like to know if anyone has done this recently.

https://training.gov.au/Search/SearchOrganisation?nrtCodeTitle=MAR&scopeItem=TrainingPackage&tabIndex=1&ImplicitNrtScope=True&orgSearchByScopeSubmit=Search&IncludeUnregisteredRtosForScopeSearch=False

Here are a list of RTO's who are registered to provide this course.

• 2 years later...

I am wanting to do the necessary course and get certified to operate a VHF radio. The links in the first post to the online training course dont work.

Is there still an online learning option, happy to go somewhere and write the test but would like to do the study work online.

15 minutes ago, Blade said:

I am wanting to do the necessary course and get certified to operate a VHF radio. The links in the first post to the online training course dont work.

Is there still an online learning option, happy to go somewhere and write the test but would like to do the study work online.

Mate you still have to go and do the test.   I think doing the course with Marine Rescue is the best way, I think you get more out of doing it that way than the just content of the course. 

I recently did mine which was held through the local marine rescue. I already had a vhf licence but had to do this new one because of digital selecting. It seemed totally overkill to me, why I would need to know how high certain satalites orbit or where the receiving stations are is beyond me. Also trying to remember the exact frequency numbers for extreme long range and vhf radio channels has no bearing on using a vhf. 

• Like 1

Must admit the day some of these tools who spend all day harping on over the radio get some sort of radio etiquette will be a good thing. The licences are now more like a driving licince with your photo Id etc. 

Also the general mayday, pan pan and securatee calls are covered and who has priorities over calls etc. This part is very important and covered in a very small part of the training.

• Like 1

This post was made in 2015 

Here is the explanation of various radio qualifications available now

https://www.acma.gov.au/marine-radio-qualifications

https://www.acma.gov.au/australian-waters-qualification

https://marinerescuensw.com.au/boating-education/radio-courses Marine Rescue has courses give them a call 

Here is another page of info https://www.marineradiolicence.com.au/

Hop these links help (did not have time to read all properly) 

Let me know specific info needed and I can ask my contacts

• Thanks 1

I am in Marine Rescue at Sussex Inlet and have taken over the task of teaching radio procedure together with the LROCP course. All our MR operators must have the LROCP qualification as well as being assessed on Base radio procedure. Sussex will be running a short basic radio procedure for boaties in the not too distant future. Seeing most Boaties are not licensed this will be a basic overview of procedure only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Is there a short intro I can do online. I am taking a boat out that has a radio fitted so until I can do my radio license just looking for the basics. Wanting to log on and off and correct mayday procedure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blade said:

Is there a short intro I can do online. I am taking a boat out that has a radio fitted so until I can do my radio license just looking for the basics. Wanting to log on and off and correct mayday procedure. 

I have had my boat for 4yrs and never turned the radio on, will have to learn it before I venture out the heads.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I have had my boat for 4yrs and never turned the radio on, will have to learn it before I venture out the heads.

@jeffb5.8 All I can say to that is I hope you have not been out to sea & not logged into your local marine rescue service??

Regardless you should imo still have it on, in case there is a PAN PAN or a MAYDAY!

Marine radio's are not just for when you feel like using them, but also for others to contact anyone else when they are in trouble!

You actually might need to rescue some one some day, & if your radio is off well that doesnt help anyone...

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/using-waterways/navigation-communication/radio-network-services.html

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/safety-rules/incidents-emergencies/communication-and-rescue.html

Edited by kingie chaser

32 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Marine radio's are not just for when you feel like using them, but also for others to contact anyone else when they are in trouble!

You actually might need to rescue some one some day, & if your radio is off well that doesnt help anyone

They can ring my mobile

Yep never been anywhere where I need to log on or off, hence why I said I have to learn, would hate to turn my radio on and be doing the wrong thing and cause a issue.

Plus I have a Etec, if anyone is going to need saving its me!

Edited by jeffb5.8

ACMA have produced a good video some time ago for the recreational boaters.

Its a good start to get some info if you are just starting out.

You never know you may need it one day to save your own life or other boaters at sea.

• Like 1

According to the regulations you must hold a radio licence before you can legally use a marine radio. Also you must have a marine radio fitted in your boat before going outside. Here is the quandary... If you must have a radio but cannot legally use it if unlicenced you are breaking the law if you fish outside. Seeing the majority of boat users are not licenced what are the authorities able to do? Marine Rescue pleads with boaties to log on for their own safety. Many do not, and here is where our problems start. If a boat gets into trouble and we don't know it is out or where it is where do we start looking? There are a number of great action photos on here of you fishing outside WITHOUT wearing life jackets. Please please wear them. They are your first line of protection. We do not like looking for bodies

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JimC said:

According to the regulations you must hold a radio licence before you can legally use a marine radio. Also you must have a marine radio fitted in your boat before going outside. Here is the quandary... If you must have a radio but cannot legally use it if unlicenced you are breaking the law if you fish outside. Seeing the majority of boat users are not licenced what are the authorities able to do? Marine Rescue pleads with boaties to log on for their own safety. Many do not, and here is where our problems start. If a boat gets into trouble and we don't know it is out or where it is where do we start looking? There are a number of great action photos on here of you fishing outside WITHOUT wearing life jackets. Please please wear them. They are your first line of protection. We do not like looking for bodies

JimC totally agree and this is why I am trying to ensure I comply. I have bought an Eprib got flares that are in date, v sheet and I always wear my PFD. The issue with the radio license is that it is not as clear as the other things and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of online courses. 

49 minutes ago, Blade said:

I want to test the radio in the boat I have as a start how do I do that? 

They accept radio calls regardless if you have a licence.    Be aware if you call on the radio for the first time they will most likely ask you boat details.   So it pays to have your rego number written down so you don't have to hang over the side trying to read it upside down.

I'd say for starters it's easier to phone them and have a quick chat or log in using the marine rescue app.   That way most of the questions will be covered.  It's easiest to have a boat name too. 

Find out your local marine rescue. When on the water get onto channel 16.   Listen to other calls.  When you want to call, check it's clear and push the button saying marine rescue XYZ ( Solander Sydney or whatever) , marine rescue XYZ , marine Rescue XYZ followed by this is "boat name" requesting a radio check over.   They will reply and probably move you up to a working channel. 

Edited by Welster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1