Fishing breakwalls?

Camo1808

Hey raiders.

Got a trip booked to forster in absout 5 weeks for a week fishing trip. Am looking forward to hitting up the break wall but have very little break wall experience.

Any advqice on fishing break walls in regards to tides or rigs for lures or baits.

Also ive seen people fishing with baits floating under balloons from the stones?? Whats this all about and is it worth looking into for off the wall?

Feel free to pm me. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hi mate. I've only fished foster once, on the tuncurry side for jewies. I didn't get any but the guys next to me got a couple around 5kg on live yakkas, but he was a local and knew what he was doing. You will see guys like that up there and they spend a lot of time doing it.

I think you would probably be better off fishing for bream as they are a bit easier to find, target, catch and land. First thing about any type of fishing like this is safety. Know your ability, balance and experience in regards to reading water and waves as a lot of water moves through there. Pick a safe part of the wall. I recommend Dunlop volleys or ribbed rubber soled wetsuit booties. Do NOT wear cleats or rock spikes on breakwall as the rocks are too hard and they will be super slippery. Fish an hour either side of the tide when the water moves slower. It might take you a day or so to figure out how the tides relate to the tide chart up there. Pick a spot where the water eddies or swirls as this will concentrate food and make it easier for fish to save energy. The bream will most likely be close to the bottom of the wall. Berley with something like soaked bread, prawn heads, bait scraps etc. just a bit at a time but not until the water really slows. Fish with a small ball sinker about the size of a pea right down on the hook. Start with something Between a size 4 and a 1/0. Fish with peeled prawns, cubes of pilchard, fresh worms, fresh squid, bread, pieces of crabs you catch from the wall. Experiment with baits until one works. If you get no bites or just rubbish fish and no good bites after 15-20 min maybe move to your next spot.

First thing in the morning and last light in the evening are better if you can get a tide change close to then.

If you have a blackfishing skill set that would be a good option too.

You will lose a lot of gear to snags figuring out each spot. Float fishing is also an option.

Good luck.

Hi mate. I've only fished foster once, on the tuncurry side for jewies. I didn't get any but the guys next to me got a couple around 5kg on live yakkas, but he was a local and knew what he was doing. You will see guys like that up there and they spend a lot of time doing it.

I think you would probably be better off fishing for bream as they are a bit easier to find, target, catch and land. First thing about any type of fishing like this is safety. Know your ability, balance and experience in regards to reading water and waves as a lot of water moves through there. Pick a safe part of the wall. I recommend Dunlop volleys or ribbed rubber soled wetsuit booties. Do NOT wear cleats or rock spikes on breakwall as the rocks are too hard and they will be super slippery. Fish an hour either side of the tide when the water moves slower. It might take you a day or so to figure out how the tides relate to the tide chart up there. Pick a spot where the water eddies or swirls as this will concentrate food and make it easier for fish to save energy. The bream will most likely be close to the bottom of the wall. Berley with something like soaked bread, prawn heads, bait scraps etc. just a bit at a time but not until the water really slows. Fish with a small ball sinker about the size of a pea right down on the hook. Start with something Between a size 4 and a 1/0. Fish with peeled prawns, cubes of pilchard, fresh worms, fresh squid, bread, pieces of crabs you catch from the wall. Experiment with baits until one works. If you get no bites or just rubbish fish and no good bites after 15-20 min maybe move to your next spot.

First thing in the morning and last light in the evening are better if you can get a tide change close to then.

If you have a blackfishing skill set that would be a good option too.

You will lose a lot of gear to snags figuring out each spot. Float fishing is also an option.

Good luck.

Hey mate thanks heaps for all thr info. Will really come in handy if we choose to chase bream. However were keen for our first jewies so were gunna be persistent and we have the determination so we will still give it a crack even if we fail haha.

Cheers

One of the most effective methods of catching jewies of those breakwalls is with lures

A 9' or 10' 10 to 15kg rod. 5000 reel spooled with 30lb braid

Try chucking 5 or 7 inch Shads or paddle tails. In hardbodies Croaker Lure Jewie Jewels, Warlock 120's and Killalure Jewie lures are probably the most successful.

Mate thats golden advice!! I posted last night about a new rod combo for that particular thing..any suggestions on a new combo as mentioned above that wont break the bank. Cheers

Penn Prevail 10 to 15kg 10' and a Pfleuger Salt 50 reel you'll get away with for around $300

Timberwolf do a Nano Graphite 10 to 20kg in a 12' which I know a few blokes use for Jewies and team that up with the same Pfleuger reel or one of the new Shimano Sedona 5000 for around $300

Either rig will throw lures quite well and can easily be changed over to fishing with either dead bait or live baits

Edited by Crossfire63

Hey mate,

I have fished Forster break wall many times for Jewfish but have never been successful. I have seen some huge fish caught over the years just never at the end of my line. Crossfire63 is right that lures work very well and more and more people are using them but if you are going to use bait octopus is the bait to use its just hard to catch but is defiantly the best bait off the wall.

Just plan to fish the turn of the tide when the current is not to strong. If you struggle to hold bottom you can always walk the wall with the bait. Also after dark you get a lot of sharks come through. I have caught plenty of bronze walers over the years everyone thinking they were a jewfish. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live squid or yakkas on the first couple hours of the run out. Start as far back as you can near the netted swimming area and walk the break wall as your squid or yakka makes its way out. Use as little weight as possible but you will need to get your live bait down a fair way. Heavy 12ft or bigger rod will help with keeping line up off the rocks.

There's a great story in a recent edition of Australian Fishing that gave some great tips about fishing the Forster Breakwall. If you don't want to buy it I'll summarize it: fish for bream very close to the Breakwall. Use whitebait with a very small sinker right on the hook and just let it sink about 10 foot out. Don't chuck out in the middle.

My dad also fishes the Breakwall for Jews. He uses live bait normally slimies or Yakkas caught on site and walks the live bait along the wall with the tide. He's nailed some massive Jews doing this.

Good luck!