Glenbawn Dam

Hi Everyone,

I am taking my wife and 3 young kids camping to Glenbawn Dam this long weekend. I have never been there before but I hear its one of the best freshwater fisheries in NSW. Is anyone able to provide any advice for fishing from the shore at Glenbawn? I will be taking my kids fishing most days but I also want to have a decent crack by myself a couple of times too.

With the kids I was thinking of taking some worms from my worm farm at home and just throwing a bunch of them out and let the kids hold the rod. Will we catch anything on worms this time of year there or should we be trying a different bait? Also can anyone recommend any locations to try?

With regard to lure fishing, what's the best bet? Plastics, hard bodies or spinner baits? I'm not to fussed on targeting a specific species, we will just be happy to catch a few fish.

Also, are there yabbies at Glenbawn, and if so can you catch them for bait / eating? Are you allowed to use opera house traps there or do you just use a handline with a bit of bait and get them close to shore then net them? How do the yabbies go for bait? Do you fish them live or do you cut then in half?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I think the kids are expecting big things and to be honest I haven't done a great deal of freshwater fishing.

Cheers,

Phil

Hey mate

Fished glenbawn 2 weeks ago for the first time Ill share what worked for me .We fished the other side of the dam from the boat ramp I think its about a 20 km run we trolled for a day and half using bibed hardbodys I think there called starkys .I drove the boat and my twin 5yr olds reeled in the fish managed to catch 18 bass and 1 yellowbelly all released. Im no expert its only the second time I have fished freshwater.good luck

• 1 month later...

Yes worms from the bank are the go and Yabbies can be found turning over rocks on the shoreline. I'm not sure on traps in the dam etc. You'll run into bass, catties, carp, yellows and silvers fishing this way.

Can't say I've ever heard of Yabbies under rocks on the shoreline at Glenbawn. In fact, I've never seen a wild Yabby at Glenbawn period.

Edited by Dave_