Keen to start yakking

allen_f

Hey raiders,

As a typical uni student, I think stretching the wallet for a boat is a silly idea so for some extra "cardio" and relaxing time I've decide to get a kayak. Not going to stretch my budget too far but I'm planning on getting one of the typical $300-$350ish kayaks off ebay. My questions is, as I know some raiders do possess one of them. As to how stable they are? I'm 178cm, and weigh 88kg (I promise it's mostly muscle ;)) Will it capsize if I'm fighting a medium sized kiny/salmon? I plan to get it by the end of my exams so I can hit the water ASAP. I will mostly be fishing the georges river and port hacking systems.

Also I plan to do alot of modifications to the yak when I get it. Love the DIY stuff, it will probably be along the lines of making stabilisers (either out of boat fenders or some sort of high density foam). As my car didn't come with roof racks, has anyone tried those temporary roof racks? Theres a big shop on sale atm and I've picked up a set. Hopefully they're okay, anyone had any experience with it?

Any other general tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!!

I've got one of those standard $300 - $350 kayak, and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. The wide hull ensures stability and they're still sleek enough to cut through the water at an acceptable pace. I'm about your height and weigh 66 kgs. I've done a few paddles in rough conditions (even faced some rough ocean swell), but I've never been close to capsizing. Yeah you get wet, but that's all part of the fun. I've fought a few rat kingies off it, and landed bonito (40-50cm range), salmon (approx 55cm) and plenty of various sized tailor, but I've never been at risk of capsizing when fighting a fish. So I can affirm that the kayak is definitely stable and seaworthy for me. I think that even though you weigh more than me, you should be fine since your planning to yak in calm spots. Nevertheless, I recommend you always wear your lifejacket! The DIY stabilisers sound cool too.

I use soft roof racks (pictured) which work great, but I don't know quite what you mean by temporary roof racks.

attachicon.gifracks 2.png

A quick tip, you may have thought of this, but it's a good idea to have a dry storage bag (plenty on ebay). The hatches aren't very waterproof, and you need somewhere to store tackle, phone, keys, etc. Your tackle will corrode badly if you don't keep it dry.

Also, don't try to launch off an ocean beach with this kayak, the breaking waves will capsize you. I learnt the hard way :074:

Jack

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for!!!!

By temporary rack, I meant the soft ones that you have pictured, I just bought one from "Seak" so hopefully they'll do the job!! Super keen to pick mine up, still in negotiations for a student discount of some sort hehe.

Thanks for all the tips and advice :) Looking at getting a kayak pfd with those multiple pockets and D clips to hang some bits and pieces and store some waterproof tackle boxes! But its good that you warned me about the hatches otherwise my phone might be going for a swim hahaha, so I'll defs invest in a waterproof bag.

I've had an idea before heading to bed last night which was to make a DIY livie tank for the storage bit at the back! I'll be posting up a tutorial if i ever get round to it in the holidays.

Thanks heaps Jack :)

Those cheap yaks are very stable on flat water. I owned one for nearly two years before upgrading to an RTM Tempo (4.5m) for offshore fishing. Even though the cheap ones (2.7m) can go offshore it is not recommended for safety reasons:

- dont let the primary stability (stability on flat water/when you first enter the yak) fool you. Because the bottom is flat if it tilts away from that flat area it will capsize.

- short yak means more prone to seasickness as the tip of the yak will go up and down quicker than a long one.

- does not track well (going straight)

- more drag and in combination with the above you will struggle or not be able to paddle back to shore if current and wind is against you

If you fish inshore then no issue fighting kingies salmon or jewie. Keep the rod close to the yak pointing forward this will keep it even more stable

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Those cheap yaks are very stable on flat water. I owned one for nearly two years before upgrading to an RTM Tempo (4.5m) for offshore fishing. Even though the cheap ones (2.7m) can go offshore it is not recommended for safety reasons:

- dont let the primary stability (stability on flat water/when you first enter the yak) fool you. Because the bottom is flat if it tilts away from that flat area it will capsize.

- short yak means more prone to seasickness as the tip of the yak will go up and down quicker than a long one.

- does not track well (going straight)

- more drag and in combination with the above you will struggle or not be able to paddle back to shore if current and wind is against you

If you fish inshore then no issue fighting kingies salmon or jewie. Keep the rod close to the yak pointing forward this will keep it even more stable

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks mate!!! I won't be taking it offshore... too scared of the swell HAHAHA don't want to end up on bondi rescue... LOL

Hopefully itll go well, will probably build outriggers to help with stability. I'm a pretty good kayaker so hopefully my skill comes in handy when tracking, practice makes perfect right. Although when business starts going and more money flows in, a hobie will be on the dreamboard hehe :)

Will post pics of the yak when i pick it up next friday for a better look! And hopefully take it for a test run over the weekend :)

Hey mate, was in exactly the same situation as you couple of years ago. Best decision I've made was getting a yak. I'm a bit taller and heavier and opted for the big brother of the little ebay ones, comes with the rudder etc bout 4m long. The rudder is the iggest advantage, so useful for tracking and maneuvering. Mate of mine got the little version he's probably 90 or 100 kegs and she sits pretty low in the water! Take that into account for live well additions etc. If you can stretch to 600 get the bigger one but otherwise the little ones are awesome value. Got mine in the last chapter of the uni career and loved taking it out mid week before lectures [emoji14]

Post uni employment has allowed me to get a hobie next week :) but I've loved my yak. Similar width and never had an issue with a fish pulling me uncomfortably.

Good luck!

Hey mate, was in exactly the same situation as you couple of years ago. Best decision I've made was getting a yak. I'm a bit taller and heavier and opted for the big brother of the little ebay ones, comes with the rudder etc bout 4m long. The rudder is the iggest advantage, so useful for tracking and maneuvering. Mate of mine got the little version he's probably 90 or 100 kegs and she sits pretty low in the water! Take that into account for live well additions etc. If you can stretch to 600 get the bigger one but otherwise the little ones are awesome value. Got mine in the last chapter of the uni career and loved taking it out mid week before lectures [emoji14]

Post uni employment has allowed me to get a hobie next week :) but I've loved my yak. Similar width and never had an issue with a fish pulling me uncomfortably.

Good luck!

Picking it up next friday with 2 other mates, we all got one each LOOOL *random splurging* but that's what creates the best moments right?!! haha, we will definitely be trying to go out every weekend, if not for some exercise than for a fish!

I'm hoping to drop my weight down to 80kg to get into my category for powerlifting next year so let's hope the yak won't sit too low in the water. I'm hoping that outriggers will bring up the yak a little bit. I've seen helps of videos on youtube with DIY rudders, so I might have a go at making one myself :D

Thanks heaps for the help Witha, super duper keen to get out soon :)

I love my yak

It's a lot of fun fishing off whether bream and flatties or Jew and kings

I have a hobie and love it

It's very beneficial when fishing strong current or wind because I can keep myself in the spot with the mirage drives

But they are quite pricey. Your plan sounds good, getting a yak and upgrading it to suit your conditions

It's great fun mate, hope you enjoy your trips out with it

Some yaks have two screw holes on the stern. Allows u to fit in a rudder. Else look for poor man kayak on YT for a diy version

Sent from my X6800 using Tapatalk

Been watching poor mans kayak for the past few day, hopefully I can rig up something like his hehe

I love my yak

It's a lot of fun fishing off whether bream and flatties or Jew and kings

I have a hobie and love it

It's very beneficial when fishing strong current or wind because I can keep myself in the spot with the mirage drives

But they are quite pricey. Your plan sounds good, getting a yak and upgrading it to suit your conditions

It's great fun mate, hope you enjoy your trips out with it

Thanks mate!! So keen, everyone responding just makes me even keener!!!

• 1 year later...

Hey I'm basically in the same boat you were back in 2015 how did you find the cheaper model? Desperate to get one but not sure if I should save for a more expensive one or get one now and head out sooner 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, Bryson said:

Hey I'm basically in the same boat you were back in 2015 how did you find the cheaper model? Desperate to get one but not sure if I should save for a more expensive one or get one now and head out sooner 

I've had a cheap one for the last 5 years and am happy with it. I would advise start cheap, yak fishing isn't for everyone it looks a lot easier than it is but on the flip side it gives you access to loads of places out of reach to boats

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 11:10 PM, dirvin21 said:

I've had a cheap one for the last 5 years and am happy with it. I would advise start cheap, yak fishing isn't for everyone it looks a lot easier than it is but on the flip side it gives you access to loads of places out of reach to boats

Cheers mate, I've done a few trips from hired yaks and love it, I'll go for the cheap one to keep the mrs happy haha, thanks again mate