New kayak. Suggestions please!

adkel53

I am in the market for a fishing kayak that I can carry on top of the car (Nissan X Trail atm) or camper trailer and use in rivers, lakes, estuaries as we travel the country. Looking for a sit on type, paddle only, set up with rod holders, minimum 3 metres long and weighing no more than 25kg. I am 185 cm and about 95 kg. Budget would extend to around $700.

Any suggestions and/or experiences with particular models would be most welcome.

If it is your first yak maybe you can go for one if those cheap eBay yaks ($359-$500) and spend the other $700 on accessorues : trolley , anchor, railblaza/Scotty rod holders, diy.

Those yaks are cheap but very stable and durable. U can stand on it to fish. They can fall off roof racks and survive.

Sent from my X6800 using Tapatalk

Edited by quochuy

• 3 weeks later...

You might be hard pressed something that's minimum 3mtrs and under 25kg. Most are around 35kg. Mine is 4.1mtrs and 45kg, and that's before the battery, seats, motor, etc. Like Quochuy said, you can't really go wrong with the $350 cheap-o yaks. Customisation is easy and endless, and if you don't like it - the resell value is pretty good too.

Give the cheapo 3m ones a go! I just bought mine, spent a few hours in the garage pimping it out. Pretty stable aswell, lightweight too - around 22kg i think, can pick it up with one arm so it should be too bad! Bit of a balancing trick getting it on top of the car but a bit of a shoulder press + balancing with your head is all it takes. I've chucked on diy stabilisers on mine, yet to test out the stability but it looks to be alright so far. Fairly easy to mod too and won't break your heart too much when drilling into it hahahah

Not sure if this is allowed but here's some footage of my test run in the new yak last week!!!

Edited by allen_f

That is a great little vid Allen and the backing music is soothing too. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

How much was that kayak again?

Thanks Donna :)

I picked it up for $330 after a bit of negotiating. I think his standard price is $380 and he has a few clearance colours for $350.

Possibly look at something second hand. Hard to go past a Perceptoin Swing or Viking Nemo. A little longer at around 4m, within your weight limit and suitable for getting out on bigger water or even offshore if you get the chance while stll being small enough for creeks.

Have a look at the local kayak fishing forums, ebay, classifieds. You will often see good deals on used yaks that are already set up with extra rod holders, sounders etc.

I have a SeaK lunar12 sit on, weighs 25kg, has two rod holders, and plenty of storage but it's 3.8 metres long. I can't remember how much it retailed for but as a first kayak it's stable and has provided the job I've asked for it. ( mainly creek and river fishing but have beach launched it before). It's just long enough in the front to lay a 6"6 rod at your feet and have found it easy to clean.

A lot of the accessories you can diy cause spending another $100 is painful for a trolley.

I also don't have an issue strapping it to the roof racks on our xtrail. I have a yak rack for long trips but short 10 minute trips to the river are fine with two winch type straps. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Bit bigger and has a rudder but this is the Blackhawk Pelican - an eBay special. Was $499 and a great yak.

My first fishing kayak and been loving it. Can easily get it on the roof of my Triton and would fit on a X-Trail easily.

post-37591-0-64183000-1448942625_thumb.jpg