Golden Classic, Lake Windamere

Chappo

Hi All,

Fished the Golden Classic at Lake Windamere last weekend and thought I would write up a report.

The Golden Classic has become well known as one of the longest running premier freshwater fishing competitions in Australia. This year was no different, with a record field of 68 teams and over 200 invited anglers.

This was my third crack at the title and was lucky enough to fish with Dave Shelton, a guru and legend of Windamere, and rookie, Brendan Lee. The first day saw good catches of perch by many of the teams. All of the fish caught were fat and healthy but not quite in spawning mode.

The second day saw the bite shut down early and pretty much everyone struggled to hook up. Having said that, there were some great recorded catches with the largest yella measuring in around 609mm and three more over 600mm.

We were lucky enough to put together a card of 10 Golden Perch measuring 5660mm, to win the perpetual Steve Starling trophy for Champion Team.

Dave also nearly pulled off the clean sweep, narrowly missing out on Champion Angler by millimetres!

A great weekend. Special thanks also to Ian "barra" Miller and Pat Morris for organising the event. If you get a chance, get up to Windamere to chase the golden perch this summer. Its an excellent dam near Mudgee and makes for a great weekend camping and fishing!

Chappoooooooo

post-1767-0-75155300-1445588316_thumb.jpgpost-1767-0-35799900-1445588211_thumb.jpgpost-1767-0-79430900-1445588342_thumb.jpgpost-1767-0-42863900-1445588387_thumb.jpgpost-1767-0-04726600-1445588436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chappo

It's getting close. When the perch spawn, the males school up around the females (so I am told). Hopefully this will happen in the next few weeks. I'm back up there for the Australian Freshwater Masters in two weeks. Will let everyone know how it is fishing.

Edited by Chappo

Yes, its catch and release. Your fish have to be measured in this comp by another member of your team and signed off by them on your card. You are fishing as an individual as a well as a team so you are not going to help anyone beat you I suppose. Also, for the biggest catch in this comp, it has to be measured and signed off by another comp boat. Each year I've been in it, people don't bother you to measure a fish unless its over 600mm. Not sure who won it this year, but I remember it was around 609mm. The guy would have had to have that measured by another boat.

What sort of terrain were you catching them in?

I've been to Windamere a few times now and its takes considerable time to work out where in particular they are holding. One day they might be on the shallow weed beds then the next they will be on the sunken timber.

Frustrating and fun at the same time.

Matt

Edited by mattyg_16