Murrumbidgee River help

DGF

Hey guys, been a while since ive been on here, recently ive moved to Griffith and its been a challenge trying to fish down here as ive never fished freshwater ive been going down to the murrumbidgee river to chase cod/yellows/ anything i can set a hook in to (cod season starts again in december but just wanted to catch n release anyway) ive been having heaps of difficulties trying to get these buggers ive tried in the national park around snags etc.. but no luck except one hit on a cube of cheese n nothing after that, i am also trying to catch some yabbies in the local canals at yoogali and all im getting is loads of shrimp i managed only 2 yabbies :/

any help will be appreciated as i have no idea if im even fishing the right spots.

Edited by DGF

Hi DGF. I can offer you some advice on fishing the 'Bidgee as I live at Leeton. While the Cod season is closed it's best to target Yellowbelly with shrimps and worms, on the hook together. Use a light ball or bean sinker and put it about 30cms from the hook. Best option for you is Darlington Point. The fish are there, it's just a case of whether they're biting. Find a spot with a bit of current and cast into it. Fishing light will allow your bait to drift round to the edge of the running water, where the fish wait for food to come to them. Don't use cheese till after Dec 1st as you will only get Cod and they are best left alone during the closed season. You will probably catch some Carp but they are good fun. They should be killed humanely as they are a pest. If you need any more advice send me a pm. What time off do you have, I may be able to arrange a trip when the season starts in Dec. Cheers, Neil.

Thanks for that mate i usually have weekends off :) i've caught a bunch of shrimp in a yabbie trap they are sitting at home in my fish tank till my next session

i had tried darlington point but no luck so far at all

G'day DGF. You should continue to get shrimp as they work quite well frozen. What I do is catch some and put about 40 or so in a "sealable " sandwich bag and straight into the freezer for use later. Darlington Point is probably a worthwhile bet to catch some yellas, but it can be hit and miss. Do try to fish where there is some running water and you have a shot, provided you're persistent. When the Cod season opens I'll take you out in the boat for a day and show you a few ways to catch them. May mean a trip to Leeton or Narrandera for you though. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to work something out. In the meantime if you need any advice...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi DGF, had any luck yet? Fishing is fairly hard at the moment, mainly due to low water levels and therefore not much current. I've been getting some yellowbelly and the odd by catch of Cod during the past few weeks. Also plenty of big Carp, which I tend to target during the Cod closed season. Let me know when you're likely to be able to go fishing and I'll arrange a session in the boat. I have quite a few mates that I take out and they're all itching to go chase the Cod, once the season starts. Probably the best way (if you want to go) is to send me a pm when you know you'll be available and we'll work from there. Cheers, Neil