Advice for new yak fishing rods (bit of a report too)

krause

Hi all, thankyou to everyone who's helped me out so far. I have to warn though that this is a long post, but any info really is appreciated.

So i went out on the hacking chasing my kingfish (admittedly a major reason i got a yak) on saturday, and i got him! 60cm rat that went back, but hell that was fun. However this capture has highlighted some problems i have with my rods....

I mainly beach/rock fish, so the only 7 foot rods i have are like steel poles! However I have a 2-4kg catana that i like in the yak, i run it with a 3000 stradic. Im also chasing a rod for a 4000 stradic with 10lb line. Any thoughts?

I was also using a shimano System S 10kg-ish 7ft rod which i don't love. It has a long but which is a pain, and has a weird profile. It also now has a secerly damaged guide that will need replacing. So i want to know if this rod is worth repairing, or worth replacing. It will be paired with a baitrunner oc 6000 with 30lb braid.

I guess what im asking is advice for kayak friendly rods. So in my limited experience, i think a yak rod would have a practical rod butt, and have a good profile that can handle the bend of vertically pumping a fish up. But still have enough reach to get the tip over the end of the yak if need be whilst fighting a fish. Im blabbling now, but you all know the idea :)

So any discussion, ideas or recommendations would be awesome! Looking for a few new rods for the above reels, not looking to spent 100's though

Cheers guys, and thanks again

hey buddy i use shimano rods and reels the 2 main ones are a 2-4kg with a 2500 spheros and a 4-6 i think with a 4500D bait runner

best tip i can give you when shopping is look on the Shimano website for shimano reels and look at what the drag rating on the reels are for me and my budget the 2500 Spheros and the 4500D reels were ideal , also a tip with shimano bait runners if you can go for the D series they are so much better i own 3 now.

as for rods you need to find a reel and match the rod to the reel , but when buy the rod you need to ask what do you want it for ? they all have different actions , Gabes at Narellan is a really good place to get help if your a local , unless you know what your doing i don't recommend buying rods of online stores

Cheers guys, i guess im after 2 rods. The only real specificity im after is a heavier rod to replace the system s rod... ive always just dawdled around the store and bought a rod that felt nice in the hand. Would never buy them online though. Any recommendations that work for others?

Hi Krause,

I'm not a big spender, so I keep my brands affordable, but still try to adhere to a standard. For yak fishing, 7' rods are probably the optimum length, just so as you can clear the bow or stern if the fish decides to play it's own game. A 2-5 kg rod is a good all rounder that is light enough to handle bread and butter fish, but has the strength for the unexpected big boy that will eventually show up. A fast taper would be desirable to give a good bit of casting distance. Match it up with a 2000 - 3000 series reel. A baitcaster would be the go here as you can drop a bait down and set it in the rod holder while you use your other rod. You could start as low as $70 for such a rod.

The other rod would be in the 1-3kg class. Once again a fast taper and 6.5' - 7' in length. This would cover you for light lures, finesse breaming, lightness in hand so you can cast all day, if needed. Match it up with a 1000-2000 series reel. Look to start at around $150.

As far as butts are concerned, the two section butts work really well in kayak rod holders, keeping the reel high and as far away from splashing salt water as can be. You can improve on that by using a PVC "extension" to fit in the rod holder to give it some extra height. Just make sure that your rods reel seats and guides are of reasonable quality. Go with the good brands of hardware.

I haven't mentioned brands as my knowledge of most brands comes from what I read, not what I own, but other members can fill in the gaps. I'm happy enough with what I use, but you might not be, so I've just kept the advice generic. Hopefully, I've been helpful.

BTW, despite your discomfort with some of your gear on the weekend, well done on the rat king. It's nice to have a plan to target a species and it comes together on the day. You must have been doing a lot right, even if the gear was not ideal.

Edited by GreyNurse

Cheers greynurse. Thanks for the info, and as a broke student i wont be spending much on rods either!

I was pretty happy with the king, damn good fun. The few others ive caught have been off rocks with swell and big rods etc, so you don't feel the fish that well. But this was just a great example of the power of these fish. Can't wait to hunt something a wee bit larger. Can't complain about the gear too much, it does the job for the time being, and im grateful for it

Good job on the Kingy!! That was one of the reasons behind me getting my yak too!! hahahah, cant wait till exams are over/weather to get better to go for a paddle through the hacking. Where did you pick up the rat this trip?

For my rods, I'm gonna be running an $80 shimano combo (2-4kg 7' stick with a 2500 sienna + 10lb braid), a shimano starlo 4-8kg 7' with 30lb on a 4000 sedona and a 6'6" $20 fibreglass rod with an abu garcia 1000 reel with 8lb for squid. That'll pretty set me up for most fish i can find in the hacking, light outfit for the little ones for some fun and the heavier outfit for those kingies and salmon and the shorter stick for squid. Hopefully I can get out there soon. Maybe we can meet up?? I might try to get out either thursday or friday with a mate. Chuck me a pm if you're up for it :)