FG Knot for light braid

brad_tate

Hi Raiders,

I've just re-tied my leaders this afternoon with the FG knot - very happy with myself, only took a few false starts to get the hang of it. After a bit of trawling You Tube I found this video to be the easiest for me.

This video is using heavier braid and leader than my light gear however, and the author recommends 20-22 turns. I am after some feedback from fellow Raiders. How many turns do you use for different weights of braid and leader?

I went with 30 turns for 6 lb braid to 12 lb mono, seems ok but I guess the next decent fish will tell!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest Guest123456789

Tinny man video for me too. My FG knots NEVER break and they get tested. 10lbs braid or lighter I use Uni to uni knot, 10 turns on the braid side. FG doesn't work for me on light braid

I use the FG with my 30lb braid and 30 lb leader (sometimes 40lb) and do 6 then pull it all tight then another 6, pull it all tight and then finish it off with half hitches, etc. I cast big Murray Cod lures and Spinnerbaits all day in heavily wooded areas and have never had a knot fail. With lighter lines I think I would tighten the knot every 8 or so sets of crossovers, as this helps keep the knot nice and neat. Something which is important if casting all day long. Probably would do 3 sets of 8 with the lighter lines. It's a very sleek and strong knot and works well with the baitcaster reels.

FG. Best. Knot. Ever!

As for the OP, for light braid to leader, as Luke says, uni to uni. Quick, easy and still strong. I tried the FG on light lines and found it hard to keep the turns tight. An alternative to the uni-uni, I sometimes do a full Albright.

• 3 weeks later...

I was out on the bay the other week and trying to impress my new girlfirend. Caught a nice trev on 2nd cast, maybe it was loitering just under the school. So thought I better give her a turn, Just got her hooked up on a nice fish after a number of miscasts - suspect it was a salmon due to the bust-ups. Anyway the knot gave way :mad3::mad3: just when the fight was starting to heat up. From memory I was using 10lb Powerpro to a 12 lb fluorocarbon leader. This isn't the first time its happened to me - seem to be a repeat offence. Am I not doing enough turns? - think I had about 8 and 10 turns on fluoro and braid respectively. Or maybe the leader wasn't long enough - only about 1metre.

Theres another knot called the Kane Dysaught knot I saw on a fishing so which apparently stands up better to repeated casting. Sounds more like a surgical procedure but has anyone tried it? Please help - I cant afford to fail in front of the girlfriend again boys.

After being advised by a local guide that this was the only knot to use, I changed 13 reels over to it. It did take me a long time to get it right, but it is worth it! Why? because it is an extremely thin and streamline knot with which the braid or leader break before the knot ! think of the possibilities, 5 lb Fins 40g breaks at 20 lb. if I am using 15 lb leader nothing will break until my drag gets close to 15 lb. But I have the casting advantage of 5 lb line.

I used the Double Uni knot for many years. The knot is easy to tie and very strong. However, with the current trend for small guides on rods such as the Daiwa Gen Blacks I find the Double Uni knot is too bulky and effects the casting distance.

I now use the FG knot exclusively, after coming across the same You Tube clip as Tastee. I initially struggled to tie the knot on light leaders, constantly breaking the leader whilst tightening the knot, but with a lot of practice it becomes easier. The knot is super thin and runs through small guides beautifully.

Thanks for the advice. Seems I need to improve my knot tying skills. I did a bit of searching on the net and also looked at the packet - seems double uni works best on similar diameter lines. The braid is much thinner than the same breaking strength leader so I wonder if that's part of the problem. One option is to double the braid before tying, Also definitely more loops. Also didn't know Kane Dysaught is a bit of a fishing legend up north - so don't mean to diss him in any way. Will have to try his knot out too because its very low profile and wont catch up on the guides. I think it might also be called the Kaneit knot.

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks for the advice. Seems I need to improve my knot tying skills. I did a bit of searching on the net and also looked at the packet - seems double uni works best on similar diameter lines. The braid is much thinner than the same breaking strength leader so I wonder if that's part of the problem. One option is to double the braid before tying, Also definitely more loops. Also didn't know Kane Dysaught is a bit of a fishing legend up north - so don't mean to diss him in any way. Will have to try his knot out too because its very low profile and wont catch up on the guides. I think it might also be called the Kaneit knot.

Uni to uni knot for light line. 10 turns on braid side. You only need 4 turns on fluro side. Too many turns on the fluro side is the problem.

• 7 years later...

In case others are looking at this old topic, the pinky method as described in this SaltStrong video is excellent.  The rod really helps you to maintain the tension. The "tinnie man" video is very good, but I have always found it difficult to tell two of my fingers to maintain the tension while the others on that same had help the other hand with the twists.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Renegade460 said:

No idea what kmot this is but use it all the time with 6lb braid to mono. Rather than overlapping on the way back I just feed it back through the loop.

Looks like an Albright knot.

• Like 2

https://www.animatedknots.com/albright-knot 

As Derek says it is an Albright knot 

I find that it catches on the runners and after a lot of casts it unravels. 

Best knots are the FG for joining braid to leader and a uniknot for all the others - hooks swivels, jigheads, lures.

Once you have mastered those 2 knots you don't need any others. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, essjay said:

For light line I get good results with the slim beauty and for 10lb and up its FG all the way. I struggle to get the FG right on light line and light leader. Probably my sausage fingers and ape fists.

The slim beauty is quite underrated in my opinion. For anyone who can’t get their head around the FG, give this knot a try.

For the record, I use an FG in everything down to 3lb leaders. As you go lighter in leader you need to increase pressure on the wraps when tying and throw in a couple extra.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

FG knot all the way down to 6lb main line (as light as I fish). As mentioned above definitely need to ensure the coils are tightened ever 8 or so wraps. I use a technique that i saw in a video 10 years ago where you wrap the braid around pinky finger and make a loop between thumb and index. I also stopped finishing with a rizutto finish on the lighter lines after a few unravelled after many casts costing me a decent flatties and a favourite lure. Now I just do half a dozen alternating half hitches around leader and braid and a couple just on the braid to finish.

On 11/22/2015 at 12:42 AM, Martin Mills said:

I was out on the bay the other week and trying to impress my new girlfirend. Caught a nice trev on 2nd cast, maybe it was loitering just under the school. So thought I better give her a turn, Just got her hooked up on a nice fish after a number of miscasts - suspect it was a salmon due to the bust-ups. Anyway the knot gave way :mad3::mad3: just when the fight was starting to heat up. From memory I was using 10lb Powerpro to a 12 lb fluorocarbon leader. This isn't the first time its happened to me - seem to be a repeat offence. Am I not doing enough turns? - think I had about 8 and 10 turns on fluoro and braid respectively. Or maybe the leader wasn't long enough - only about 1metre.

Theres another knot called the Kane Dysaught knot I saw on a fishing so which apparently stands up better to repeated casting. Sounds more like a surgical procedure but has anyone tried it? Please help - I cant afford to fail in front of the girlfriend again boys.

yes. more turns 18-20 and once you lock off the knot with the half hitches make sure you pull hard on the main line and leader to make the braid bite into the leader. The braid should go translucent.