Rod for Kingfish

Fishing_Maniac

Graphite is more senstive, ie gives more feel, so is good for lure fishing. But graphite is more fragile and prone to breakage. Seeing that you are livebaiting and there is a chance you will be redlining the rod trying to stop those kings I would go for fiberglass or graphite/ fiberglass composite. You then have to decide what line class you are going to use and what reel, ie threadline or overhead. I'd be looking for a suitable rod about 7 to 7.5 feet in length.

Good brands are Shakespeare Ugly Stick, Silstar and Wilson.

Graphite is more senstive, ie gives more feel, so is good for lure fishing. But graphite is more fragile and prone to breakage. Seeing that you are livebaiting and there is a chance you will be redlining the rod trying to stop those kings I would go for fiberglass or graphite/ fiberglass composite. You then have to decide what line class you are going to use and what reel, ie threadline or overhead. I'd be looking for a suitable rod about 7 to 7.5 feet in length.

Good brands are Shakespeare Ugly Stick, Silstar and Wilson.

Hi mate, so you can feel the kingy more when its hooked with a graphite rod? I am going to be using a threadline reel (shimano baitrunner OC 6000) and 30 pound braid. Cheers

Hi mate, so you can feel the kingy more when its hooked with a graphite rod? I am going to be using a threadline reel (shimano baitrunner OC 6000) and 30 pound braid. Cheers

Yes, you will feel the kingie more but it won't much of an advantage when livebaiting. If you were lure fishing especially with soft platistics or slow jigs I would go for an all grahite rod for more feel and finness when working the lure. You would be better off with a stronger rod for livebaiting. A baitrunner is a good choice as you can let the kingies run a bit with light drag before setting the hook.

Edited by billfisher

Good brands are Shakespeare Ugly Stick

Pretty much one of the best all round rods, assuming you're a beginner an Ugly stick is perfect due to cost. Don't buy expensive gear - you won't need it at this stage.

For absolute value for money and toughness get an ugly stik gold.

I'd go for on of the 7ft or 8ft models in 6-10kg, which come in 2 peice.

Or if you want to sacrifice some of the level of control you have over the fish, there are some shorter models which could double up as a boat rod down the track.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, its appreciated. How do the ugly stiks go with casting?

Casting is relative to the length of the rod, obviously the longer the rod, the further the cast.

But if you have a livie hooked on, the best you can hope for is a good lob. If you full crank out an awesome cast, you'll damage or kill your livie you just spent 3 hours trying to catch and only managed to get 6.

if you wish or need to achieve casting distance and use live baits the most effective method is to use a a non returning live bait clip.

Its a simple method but very effective. We use it chasing big Mulloway off the beach.

What are these clips you speak of mate? Sounds ideal.

+1 for ugly sticks, extremely affordable rods. If your a little rough with your rods, ie throw em in your boot with all your other gear get a fibregalss rod.

Very keen to have more info on the clips also

Another sometimes rule that only applies on certain occassions

No its a rule that applies on all occasions and when the mods who read EVERY thread and post come across it we remove it and remind the member. I must apologize if you feel that some get away with it, the volunteer mods on here (and i must stress that we're volunteers and dont do this for any reward) who use a lot of their free time to ensure everything is kept in line sometimes miss the odd post... If you like we can have a mod meeting and tighten things up to make sure every post is gone through thoroughly... using more of our free time? Let me know what you think about that?

And FYI - you still know the rules yet you chose to break them...