Upper hawkesbury-north Richmond to Yarramundi

mattfinn

Woke up at 6 this morning begging myself for more sleep after ACDC last night but I'd psyched myself up all week for this trip, bought a new rod and reel too, no backing out....

With all the weather I was expecting it to be slow going barometer was fairly low all week but picked up the last two days.

Never having fished this section of the river before I started with some stick baits and poppers over the shallow weed beds around the bridge there. I gave this ago for about 45 minutes or so before I moved to the bridge and started working the pylons with plastics and vibes. Still hadn't had a hit.... Another bloke kayaking like me was pretty much doing the same as me and wasn't catching anything either although he said his sounder was showing fish. They really had shut down I guess. I decided to eventually start working my way up along the river fishing tight against the banks using my cicada walker, a bit of a go-to confidence lure of mine. Was about half a kilometre down from yarramundi when I switched banks and worked my way back downriver. Had tried a mix of cranks and my cicada going up with no luck.

Having never caught any bass on cranks or spinner baits my confidence on those style of lures is low and I often quickly give up and tie on a plastic or surface lure. (A goal for this season is to go out just using them till I catch fish and build confidence).

The only thing I hadn't used the was my spinnerbaits ( the ones where you buy the blade and frame and then attach to a jig head and a softie). Seeing as it was all I had left I tied it on just trying to remember everything I had learnt from talking to the guys at Windsor bait and tackle. ( Awesome guys by the way)

Anyway 3rd or 4th cast I get it nice and tight on the edge of the bank, was finally starting to get some accurate casts in with the new rod too (shimano jungle stix 1-3kg 662 model), flick it just off the bank and let it sink doing its thing. Had hardly hit started sinking before I had weight and head shakes. Was absolutely cheering till the fish turned sharply and "bang" busted me right off. At this point I was spewing, never been so gutted losing a fish because it was so slow going and nothing was working. Tied on another spin. Went for a 1/16th jig head, same Colorado blade and atomic paddle tail in rainbow bass. About another 400m down the river I saw a fishy clump of stumps in the water, quickly stopped paddling and cast right in. Wasn't a good cast at all but I just let the momentum of the kayak drag it through the snag, trying to go as slow as possible. Was still letting it drift and then bang I had a solid hook up, wasn't going to let him get away from me either, except he ran straight for the timber and had me wrapped up before I could say woo I'm on. This resulted in a stalemate of me sitting on top of the submerged log he was on, putting pressure on him to swim out. Eventually he came out and I swung him. Was over the moon with a healthy 31cm fl bass. f108717a69f3795f5206b351429aa8c0.jpg1339f23779b9d7cd48c248533a19fc62.jpg

In all today was definitely a confidence trip. Can't wait till the next session and thanks for reading I know I wrote a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done with the spinnerbaits. They definitely work. I've had to force myself to NOT take any bait with me when fishing for Murray Cod and Yellowbelly. It's a great feeling you get when they hit a lure or spinnerbait and head back towards the snags. Good luck with your next trip.

Nice job! It's am awesome feeling when you succeed with different styles of lures. I've just started getting into bass fishing, and caught them on hard bodies, but mostly on spinnerbaits. I haven't had surface lure success yet.
You're right about the guys at the tackle shop.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Was definitely a great experience too often I just stick to surface because what bass fisho would give up the chance for surface action but for me at the moment it's all about getting the experience and knowing what works and what doesn't.

hey mate fished the same stretch of river on the weekend and a bit further up aswell near yellowmundee. i lost a massive bass which dusted me off in the sunked timber. i couldnt even turn the head on this fish.

Well done on landing one though mate,

Cheers

Hey predator,

That sucks to lose a solid fish...what day did you fish? I feel like Saturday would've fished better with there being more sun. It's easier to target certain areas when there's less shade.