Aluminium boat floor thickness?

SquidMarks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in all circumstances when welding, disconnect and remove all batteries, motors and powered accessories from what you are welding to prevent failure of these items..

Particularly the battery, welding with the battery connected has a risk of a real explosion.

lots of volts in welding, 12v batteries usually dont like that many volts!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Im not looking to weld anything still, the angle will be screwed down (i guess it will all make sense once i upload a few photos).

As for the stringers, quintrex use angle to support the under floor fuel tank. That is, the angle is tack welded onto the tank and sits on the stringers which are pop riveted in, so that means that when laying sheet or ply, the sheet sits on the angle...

ill take a few photos and it will make more sense...

Particularly the battery, welding with the battery connected has a risk of a real explosion.

lots of volts in welding, 12v batteries usually dont like that many volts!

I once made the mistake of welding a car chassis with the battery still connected, didn't end well!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Im not looking to weld anything still, the angle will be screwed down (i guess it will all make sense once i upload a few photos).

As for the stringers, quintrex use angle to support the under floor fuel tank. That is, the angle is tack welded onto the tank and sits on the stringers which are pop riveted in, so that means that when laying sheet or ply, the sheet sits on the angle...

ill take a few photos and it will make more sense...

Keen to see some photos mate.

Although most of my sub floor will be welded together it will be completely removable for ease of cleaning and (touch wood) repair if it ever comes to that stage.

Good luck with it all and keep me posted.

Paul.

Ok, Hopefully the photos make a bit more sense.

The photo without the editing shows the floor layout.

The second photo shows where the angle will be attached for additional support and also circles the fuel tank angles used to support the tank on the stringers.

That means that the angle used on the sides of the stringers (which will be added) will line up horizontally with the angles used to support the tank, angles will be added to both ends of stringers.

I will also be placing some support rubber between the stringers and the ally sheet.

post-33514-0-41777400-1447303560_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-86957400-1447303562_thumb.jpg

Update:

All the ally sheet has been cut to size and the regupol has been stuck on as of yesterday 11:30pm (huge day!)

Hopefully today we can add on the extra support and screw the floor back down and that should be it!

here are some photos of yesterday half way through the job (cutting and fitting floor pieces)

I will upload more photos when the job is done so people considering this option in the future can see how it turns out.

post-33514-0-91891500-1447535646_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-85688100-1447535649_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-28489600-1447535652_thumb.jpg

Hoooooollleeyyyy Dooolllleeyyyy

All this chaos after some simple questions.

Flour is explosive too...... better not let the wife bake anymore cakes!!!

Job looks good there Squidmarks, A friend of mine recently coated his alloy interiors in a commercial grade vinyl and they look smick! Might be worth investigating? I can find out exactly what and where if you would like?

thanks spudly but the job is done! (what a weekend!)

Not sure about the shinyness antony? Its 4mm 5083 plate aluminium and it was delivered on Thursday (plus at that point i had not prepsoled the sheets so they still had their oil residue?)

I found out that Regupol is mega grippy! I tried to slide the batteries back into position and the things would not budge on the regupol.

For those people wondering if there is any flex... yes there is, its only on the main 2 sheets but i cant say its more than what the old ply used to flex.

Here are some photos of the finished product (havent had time to clean up yet so the floor is a bit dirty as you might spot in the photos).

Time to put this job to bed and never think about the boat floor again! (not with rot, or scrubbing crappy carpet or cursing dropping a hook or a pack of hooks and wrestling to get them back from the carpet!)

post-33514-0-70434100-1447570175_thumb.jpg

post-33514-0-15176500-1447570180_thumb.jpg

Edited by SquidMarks

welst, the aluminium is actually heavier than the ply but not much.

the regupol on top is what adds on the extra weight. (i bought 7m2 and it probably weighed around 30 kg)

Thanks for the kind words NaCl and Ric, im really happy with the product too!