Port hacking yak partner

allen_f

Hi Raiders,

I'll finally be done with exams next saturday (21/11) and will be heading down to the hacking for a yak on the 22nd. I'm looking for a partner that is keen to go for a paddle in search for my first kingy hehe. Not sure where all the livies etc live out in the hacking so it'll basically be a recon mission for me. The plan will be to get out around sunrise and get back around arvo, although if you want to head back earlier, that's cool too. I just need a day to mellow out after exams hahahah so I may stay on the water for longer. I'm starting a lifestyle vlog to entertain myself during the holidays so I hope you don't mind being filmed. Here's an overview of my plan:

22/11

Launch: ~6am (Either wally's or yowie)

Return: ~3pm

Testing the waters at either:

- Gymea baths

- Lilli Pilli

- SWA

depending on launch spot

Targets:

- First squid

- First kingy

- Anything inbetween

Goals:

- Testing out the new sounder

- relaxing

- Finding bait grounds

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone mention my name? Weather permitting there's every chance.

I just received my motor controller for the Watersnake and I'll want to try it out. I'm keen to do a bit of trolling, but up till now, the two speed switch on the motor is either too fast or too slow. Now I should be able to get that Goldilocks speed without compromising battery usage.

I just watch this post while you guys settle on the launch spot and other details.

BTW, I've been doing a bit of lb from both boat ramps the past couple of weeks and it's been hard work. Lot's of just undersized pinkies, a squid (finally), but very little else other than pickers from those locations. All baits (salted pillies, squid and prawns) are attracting fish, just not of any size. Hopefully, the bigger fish are where we're going.

Someone mention my name? Weather permitting there's every chance.

I just received my motor controller for the Watersnake and I'll want to try it out. I'm keen to do a bit of trolling, but up till now, the two speed switch on the motor is either too fast or too slow. Now I should be able to get that Goldilocks speed without compromising battery usage.

I just watch this post while you guys settle on the launch spot and other details.

BTW, I've been doing a bit of lb from both boat ramps the past couple of weeks and it's been hard work. Lot's of just undersized pinkies, a squid (finally), but very little else other than pickers from those locations. All baits (salted pillies, squid and prawns) are attracting fish, just not of any size. Hopefully, the bigger fish are where we're going.

Thanks for the update Nursie, it'll be sweet to finally meet you in person and check out your sweet yak mods :P I was planning on trying the deep water off Lilli pilli originally as I've been eyeing it from the baths for a very long time, and have heard gymea may be productive but never had luck there landbased, but who knows :'( I'll aim to finalise a meet up point mid next week and get back to you guys :)

minor update: I've heard that you can launch from the scout's boat ramp at lilli pilli, can anyone confirm this? If we can, and we get there early enough, we have free parking covered by the trees so its nice and shady too :D

Yes, you can launch from there. You have to "portage" the yak down a stepped pathway, so that means a brief carry down. The problem is getting back up at the end of the day. when you are tired and muscle weary. Yowie boat ramp would be easier. Wally's is OK if you are early, but it's a long way to Lilli Pilli from there if the tide is going the wrong way.

That's a fair point Nursie, I do love a good workout but all I want after a long day of paddling is a nice cold beer hahaha. I've never launched from yowies before so I'm keen to give that a try.

Updated details:

22/11

Launch: ~6am at Yowie's boat ramp

Return: ~3pm

Testing the waters at either:

- Gymea baths

- Lilli Pilli

- SWA

- NWA

We can decide as a group on the day

Targets:

- First squid

- First kingy

- Anything inbetween

Goals:

- Testing out the new sounder

- relaxing

- Finding bait grounds

Any other yakkers who are keen can also come :yahoo: Always happy to make new friends.

Yes, you can launch from there. You have to "portage" the yak down a stepped pathway, so that means a brief carry down. The problem is getting back up at the end of the day. when you are tired and muscle weary. Yowie boat ramp would be easier. Wally's is OK if you are early, but it's a long way to Lilli Pilli from there if the tide is going the wrong way.

Haha I can vouch for that tide ripping through. What a nightmare of a paddle back! Wind and tide...

Good luck lads might get a chance to join you

My exams are done tomorrow. Given i haven't broken my thumb im in. You can put in at lillipilli, but it sucks. Yowie holds the livies before sun up and is an easy enough spot to put in imo. But hell im happy with anything!

As of 5 mins ago weather looks flat small chance of rain and only very minimal wind so all in all looks like pretty good weather kind of keen for a for middle harbour been alot more kings up that way

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk