Any help on land based king fish

stevex

Hey all not sure if anyone can help i wana take a mate fishing for kings landbased and his not experienced ànd all the spots i no sometimes hold kings are dangerous and i dont take risks so just wondering if anyone knows where roughly i can try where it's not dangerous not asking for your secret spots just any help or even an area i can go try thanks in advance

Hey all not sure if anyone can help i wana take a mate fishing for kings landbased and his not experienced ànd all the spots i no sometimes hold kings are dangerous and i dont take risks so just wondering if anyone knows where roughly i can try where it's not dangerous not asking for your secret spots just any help or even an area i can go try thanks in advance

Hey mate,I wouldn't say there are any real 'secret' spots on where to find kingifsh, though some areas might prove to have kingfish frequent them more often. What would be a good idea is to understand why king fish would be in that area in the first place. More often then not they are out searching for a feed, so looking for areas that are likely to hold baitfish might be well worth a shot of trying for kingies. These areas, can include wharves, rockwalls, or even moorings. Baitfish congregate in the areas for protection and fish such as kingies are there for the hunt. Some people believe you need to fish deep water too, but I've seen kingies swim into the shallows at clifton gardens in no more than a meter of water chasing baitfish or hovring over shallow kelp beds in search for some squid.

Some guys have mentioned a few spots and I've seen kingies caught at pier 2, balmoral and clifton,. These areas do get very crowded, so might be worth a shot going for a drive one weekend and looking for areas that might hold baitfish and have access to deeper water.

Good luck

Joe

Cheers boys will go 4 a drive and have a sus around i do most my fishing of the boat but thought ill mix it up plus my mate gets sick so rather try get him a king of the land thanks 4 your help boys appreciate it

Edited by stevexfishoguru

My mate and I have been catching them consistently over the last few months at 4 different wharves in Sydney Harbour. Biggest fish going 99cm (it was my mates first kingfish). :wife:

The last time I went fishing was 2 weeks ago and landed an 81cm specimen.

The most important thing is selecting a location where high tide is within 2 hours of sun rise (I wouldn't fish after 7:30am. Once the ferries start, It seems they go off the bite). I've found half an hour after the tide change is when we've hooked up our fish.

For bait, live yakka's. Surprisingly, freshly caught squid hasn't been productive for us.

Don't be scared to fish well west of the harbour Bridge. You'll be surprised how far up they go and how shallow they feed (caught them in less than 4 metres of water). They tend to fight really dirty in the shallower water, swimming straight to the wharf to try and wrap themselves around a pylon and bust you off. So, I strongly recommend a long surf rod to keep them away from the Pylons when trying to net them.

As an example, my setups are as follows:

14 foot rods (8-15kg), 4000 size reels with 30lb braid, running star sinker with 60lb leader. 5/0 to 7/0 circle hook pinned just behind the head.

Hope this helps & best of luck.