Nepean River - Fed up with it

PRED-ATOR

Hi Guys,

Been fishing the nepean river pretty hard lately. From penrith, rowing club down to the weir and the opposite side (emu side), fished emu heights, fished hawkesbury heights, fished emu plains bloody everywhere.

All for one small bass and one screaming run which i lost the fish. I have put in so many hours fishing and bush walking through there for nothing.

Where have all the nepean bass gone?

Stan, have you tried under the bridge opposite the log cabin. I was there for 1/2 an hour 3-4weeks ago and got 2 around 30cm and dropped 2. I find really early morning and late arvos are the only time to fish the river. What lures are you using?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Mate, I'm originally from the area but obviously live far away now.

I usually fish the morning with surface walkers like cicadas or Taylor made lures. As the sun rises higher, I switch to crank38 deep and shallow divers. I find anything with an orange or yellow belly seems to work best IMO. In the afternoon I use a similar strategy. If you can get down there just before a storm they absolutely smash em!

Hope that helps!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sounds like my experience so far this year, and last season as well, I fish further down towards Yarramundi in the yak and last time got 4 tiny bass in 5 hours, tried everything, but most noticable was the lack of surface activity . I was on the water before 6 am. I've fished these parts of the river for 30 years and the last season and the start of this are the worst that I've seen.

The weather the last few weeks has really made the creeks hard to fish which is where I normally spend most of my time. They've really been shut down lately I feel and you've had to work for them. From 4 trips I've only managed 4 fish and dropped 3 since the start of the season. The weather is improving and the creeks are clearing out a lot more so stay optimistic this summer will be good. Also I'm pretty sure there was a large fish Kill in the Red Mills creek area so that may have affected sections although the furthest I fish is north richmond to yardamundi.
Best session to date was a shut down bite about 2 weeks ago where I managed 1 and dropped a second with jig spins and atomic paddle tails, although my younger brother caught a small one on a grub rigged weedless.

Hey fellas I know it may be a bit of a hike for some of you but Ourimbah creek on the Central coast has started off quite well, I've managed 4+ fish on the past 3 attempts (landbased) usually at least 1 or 2 are 35+cm, can pm locations if you want to launch a kayak or landbased