New car

Fab1

Hi guys I'm more than likely going to buy a new car very soon mainly to commute to work but it would be nice to be able to tow my 550kg boat if at all possible.

My budget is no more than 25k,and as long as it has 3 pedals and a steering wheel It will do me.

What are people towing something similar in weight and size to my tinny with these days?

I'm leaving it to you guys,if you were me what would you buy and why?

Thanks guys.

i have a 2000 TDi Prado diesel. 440K on the clock,

tows everything, nice and high on the freeway, no speeding

tickets, its a bit slow, and comfortable for for commuting.

Range of about 1400km so i can chose when to buy fuel and

seems to be around 11km/l

The paint is falling off a bit so i dont have to worry about it

and I can fold up the seats and sleep in it, or carry a heap

of stuff.

Fabian, as I mentioned yesterday we can give my 2013 mazda 3 a go see how she handles your rig. but for 25k I would get a subaru imprezza, Forrester is probably better but I doubt you will get one with 25k also worth a mention is to get a towbar factory fitted. this way if there are any issues they cant use this as a excuse and these days the ecu on cars is very high tech and if you have any dramas it will all be covered. take your time and shop around. I believe kia sorrento took out wheels car of the year but I am still not 100% sold on them but they are growing in popularity. again I stress shop around look at fuel economy as well and if you are financing organise that before you walk into any yard cause they will screw you if they get the chance!!!

Happy Hunting!!

Regards,

Nathan

Subaru forester or Suzuki vitara so you could use some of the more dodgy out of the way boat ramps with a small tinny

Those 2 I think are out of my price range but I would like to have a look at the impreza.The out of the way ramps if I ever do decide to use them I can take my hilux.

i have a 2000 TDi Prado diesel. 440K on the clock,

tows everything, nice and high on the freeway, no speeding

tickets, its a bit slow, and comfortable for for commuting.

Range of about 1400km so i can chose when to buy fuel and

seems to be around 11km/l

The paint is falling off a bit so i dont have to worry about it

and I can fold up the seats and sleep in it, or carry a heap

of stuff.

Thanks,but I was after something brand new and much smaller than a prado as I already have a ute I can use.

Fabian, as I mentioned yesterday we can give my 2013 mazda 3 a go see how she handles your rig. but for 25k I would get a subaru imprezza, Forrester is probably better but I doubt you will get one with 25k also worth a mention is to get a towbar factory fitted. this way if there are any issues they cant use this as a excuse and these days the ecu on cars is very high tech and if you have any dramas it will all be covered. take your time and shop around. I believe kia sorrento took out wheels car of the year but I am still not 100% sold on them but they are growing in popularity. again I stress shop around look at fuel economy as well and if you are financing organise that before you walk into any yard cause they will screw you if they get the chance!!!

Happy Hunting!!

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks Nathan,I will do my research and will be paying cash if and when I buy.You know me I put a stop real quick to the crap that comes out of those dealers mouths.Theres not many smallish cars that will tow my boat legally from what I have seen including yours mate as with an unbraked towing capacity of 500kg we'd be towing illegally.

I think your Mazda is 900kg braked.

My car at the moment is 600 kg unbraked 1200 kg braked.

Funny how the unbraked limit is 750kg but not much out there can tow this amount legally anyway.

I didnt realise my mazda was only 500 kgs unbraked, lucky my tinny is well under that, once I have finished with my fitout I want to get it weighed so I know exactly what Im towing but I expect to be about 350 - 400 kgs.

not sure if I told you or not but the corolla also did real well on the tow even up heathcote road I was overtaking other cars but I wouldnt risk anything too large.

Regards,

Nathan

I didnt realise my mazda was only 500 kgs unbraked, lucky my tinny is well under that, once I have finished with my fitout I want to get it weighed so I know exactly what Im towing but I expect to be about 350 - 400 kgs.

not sure if I told you or not but the corolla also did real well on the tow even up heathcote road I was overtaking other cars but I wouldnt risk anything too large.

Regards,

Nathan

The new mazdas tow rating has been increased to 600kg unbraked so its on my list to go and see.

I want to be able to get down and up mount ousley safely for when I go to Windang.

Hey Fab, my boat has a very similar weight to yours, I use my wifes Honda CRV. Such a reliable car, never missed a beat, I do service the car myself too.

Great on fuel and also a great family car, should be just within your price range.

I think you'll find they're over 25k and If you keep those Hondas serviced they will serve you well.

Hi Fab,

I bought a 2010 Subaru Forester 20.D (Diesel) with only 55,000km on it last year for 25k and I`m loving the car,It runs on 6L/100km a bit more when towing but still great fuel economy. It pulls my tinny up Mount Ousley no drama`s at all and slippery boat ramps are no problem with the AWD, The Unbraked towing capacity is 750kg,

post-30375-0-40094100-1449434254_thumb.jpg

Edited by dazamcstaga

Hi Fab,

I bought a 2010 Subaru Forester 20.D (Diesel) with only 55,000km on it last year for 25k and I`m loving the car,It runs on 6L/100km a bit more when towing but still great fuel economy. It pulls my tinny up Mount Ousley no drama`s at all and slippery boat ramps are no problem with the AWD, The Unbraked towing capacity is 750kg,

Congrats mate,nice looking car.Will have a look at all options when the time comes.

Mazda 3? So it might have 600kg for towing but that isn't that great. What if you upgrade your boat? What if you want to take 4 passengers that day with some extra weight? You probably wouldn't be able to do that in a Mazda 3.

If it was me and I had $25k, I would be looking for a car with under 50,000kms that can tow decent.

Subaru Forester would be nice, but they run a DPF or used to. So I would avoid that.

I would go to the Toyota Rav 4 or the Honda CRV as a minimum.

Make sure you don't look at the Hyundai Elantra (current models) as they do not recommend it tows anything to the point they will not sell any tow gear. I changed car because of this reason. I now have an ix35 750kg Unbraked and 1600kg braked. Mt Ousley and Bulli pass are a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ever considered a ute? could get a basic hilux or bt50 for that much brand new

I already have a dual cab 4x4 ute mate that the mrs uses for her horses.Im thinking of buying a new car to replace my Daewoo primarily as a commuter car but am after something that will tow my boat on occasion and won't send me broke doing it.My Daewoo tows my boat no sweat but its starting to get a little tired as it has just ticked over 340k and is looking a little rough around the edges.post-20199-0-12269100-1449837293_thumb.jpg

ah ok, so your wanting a more of a car/suv? you wouldnt consider a new ute? wait till early next year IMO since most major car brands have their run-out sales on at this time for brand new vehicles, last year mazda had their bt50 rwd tray back ute for 25k.

In relations to cars/suv etc I wouldnt ever buy a dealer driven/display/customer/courtesy car from any dealer no matter what the price, they are all flogged before they reach you. That forester looks really nice, but not sure what "DPF" is as stated by locodave

ah ok, so your wanting a more of a car/suv? you wouldnt consider a new ute? wait till early next year IMO since most major car brands have their run-out sales on at this time for brand new vehicles, last year mazda had their bt50 rwd tray back ute for 25k.

In relations to cars/suv etc I wouldnt ever buy a dealer driven/display/customer/courtesy car from any dealer no matter what the price, they are all flogged before they reach you. That forester looks really nice, but not sure what "DPF" is as stated by locodave

A new ute is definitely not on the cards as one is plenty.Im really after a car that will be economical to commute to work mainly and tow my boat on the very few times I use it.I agree with what you say about dealer demonstrator models and I think you'll find that locodave is talking about "DMF" which is lingo for dual mass flywheel that car makers use these days in their manual vehicles.

I won't be getting anything with those or an interference engine as those flywheels self destruct and when they do cost a fortune even though on most occasions you can change them to single mass flywheels and the interference engines you can your valves will look like pretzels when you lose a timing belt or tensioner if you haven't punched a hole through the pistons crown or cracked the block/head.

I will have a test drive of the various cars available and decide from there when the time comes.

I was hoping some one on here other than Nathan towed with a small sedan/hatch something similar in weight to my boat and could shed some light on how they fared.

Cheers.

Just wondering, why not get a new car with the bells and whistles, and just use the Hilux to tow the boat when needed?

The mrs uses the Hilux daily in the paddocks for her horses as she needs to go off road.

I'm after the car primarily for work and to go fishing late evening into the night as this is the time she needs the ute as she drives in the paddocks morning and evening.

I was advised by dealership to avoid diesel unless I'm going to knock on at least 30k plus kms a year or risk a very pricey repair for new particulate filter. Saleman was very honest about it as he is a diesel filter by trade.

I was advised by dealership to avoid diesel unless I'm going to knock on at least 30k plus kms a year or risk a very pricey repair for new particulate filter. Saleman was very honest about it as he is a diesel filter by trade.

I'd say he had a petrol in the lot costing money and told you a load of crap in order to move it along. "Honest" and "salesman" rarely make it into the same sentence. They all have their agenda...