Ugly One. (Striate Anglerfish.)

Fishing_Maniac

Question

Hi guys,

Headed out for kingfish this morning, didn't end up getting the target species (although mitchie almost hooked up).

I did however hook this ugly looking thing. It decided to have a go at a yakka bigger than itself! Anyone have any idea what species it is?

James

bab02e0bcfe1ae37b0b6dd546cbde140.jpgbbe9fe5a13115681bf57803d738578fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fishing_Maniac

Dear Fishraider,

Thank you for your enquiry. We sent your new photo to Mark McGrouther again and he said "The new image helps. I think the fish is a Striate Anglerfish. It's extremely variable in pattern and colour. http://australianmuseum.net.au/striate-anglerfish-antennarius-striatus. The species is common in Sydney Harbour.
The reason that I think it's a Striate Angerfish is that in the new photo you can see the lure. I've 'circled' the illicium in white below and the esca in yellow; together they make up the anglerfish's lure. The esca is variable but usually looks like a 2-7 worms. The images in the webpage that I mentioned above show escae similar to the one in Donna's fish. Bear in mind that the fish is out of water and the 'worms' are stuck together.
For a listing of the anglerfishes that are currently known from Sydney Harbour, check out the links to Antennariidae here,
http://australianmuseum.net.au/fishes-of-sydney-harbour#antennariidae.

Cheers,
Mark

Couple of glasses of Wine last night so not concentrating, but "Still a no eye Deer"

I'll have a better look this afternoon when I get home from work.

Though, I recon it would be a Raider record for the fish.

Edited by Blackfish

Its a type of angler fish missing its lure. Not sure what type of angler fish though.

Pretty sure its lure is there, seen in both shots as the little cream protrusion at the front of its head.

I don't think its a Frogfish either Swordy.

With 25 plus different Anglerfish in OZ and they change colours to match surroundings with Black common.

As a example here's a photo of "Striate Anglerfish" and you can see the colour variation in the same species (from the "Australian Museum")

anglersthree_medium.jpg

With so little written about them I'm at a loss.

I hope it is a Painted Anglerfish there NaCIH2OK9.

But for me I'm at a loss but I'd still love to know which one it is.

Edited by Blackfish

With 25 plus different Anglerfish in OZ and they change colours to match surroundings with Black common.

They don't just change colour but texture too. I was looking at the front dorsal spine. And in the painted anglerfish. There is massive variation on how much tissue there is around this area.

I think that's ( the body morphs) what has made this one tricky.