Drag issues.... What to do?

Tag117

Hey guys

My old sienna is having drag issues... The drag doesnt make any sound anymore and isnt very smooth. I know shimano reels have warranty but unfortunately i cant find any proof of purchase so i think that is out of the question. Is there any fix you guys know of?

Cheers guys

Tag

You have the option of servicing the drag yourself.

Set up a rag to work on. Take the spool off the reel by removing the drag knob. Check the underside of the spool where the clicker is and make sure there isn't any grease muffling/absorbing the sound up.

When your ready to service the drag, remove the keeper clip with a small screw driver, be careful because coming out those things can fling across the room and good luck finding it. Remove the drag washers by turning spool up side down, if they don't come out tap the spool on the work bench. You'll see a bunch of metal and felt washers, may e take a photo so you remember how they came out.

Separate them individually and absorb the oil off each one with some tissue. Once you've done that, start putting them back in one by one putting enough oil in between so it's oily but not drenched.

I used shimano grease on recommendation from a tackle store, works for larger reels but makes the drag in smaller reels pretty sticky.

You have the option of servicing the drag yourself.

Set up a rag to work on. Take the spool off the reel by removing the drag knob. Check the underside of the spool where the clicker is and make sure there isn't any grease muffling/absorbing the sound up.

When your ready to service the drag, remove the keeper clip with a small screw driver, be careful because coming out those things can fling across the room and good luck finding it. Remove the drag washers by turning spool up side down, if they don't come out tap the spool on the work bench. You'll see a bunch of metal and felt washers, may e take a photo so you remember how they came out.

Separate them individually and absorb the oil off each one with some tissue. Once you've done that, start putting them back in one by one putting enough oil in between so it's oily but not drenched.

I used shimano grease on recommendation from a tackle store, works for larger reels but makes the drag in smaller reels pretty sticky.

Thanks a lot mate!!! Will give it a shot

• 1 month later...

Can I recommend that you don't go using Singer sewing machine oil, unless you plan to sew with it. The major manufactures have their own drag grease - would advice you to go with those. A small jar will last you for years - your over-lockling and button holes may not be so good - but your drag will be much better. Steve

Only advise I can offer is that I have a Saltist 4500 and upgraded by changing to carbon washers. I used Cal's grease add it was recommended. Now super smooth. Check it out on You Tube. Sorry if I am not allowed to mention that. ..

Stripping down and cleaning is pretty easy but watch that holder spring ping.....

I agree use a light oil for small reels, singer oil or reel oil is okay. They do the same job.

Just watch how it comes apart and put back the same way. If you have the parts drawing you can't go wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk