Wisemans Ferry Fishing

Jewbear84

Hi Raiders

I will be heading to Wisemans Ferry this weekend for the first time in many years to hunt the illusive hawkesbury 'legal' Jew

Does anybody have any particular advise for tackle, Light Gear/Heavy Gear?, bait (ive heard peeled prawns??)

We are looking at spots such as the windsock, wires and dads corner from word of mouth are they any good

I assume the current runs hard in this area

Is squid or pillies just wasting time

Any help is much appreciated

Cheers

Get the local bait source in hawkesbury prawns or hawkesbury squid. That's seems to be pretty successful from what I've heard lately.

If your good at catching prawns and squid then go for it otherwise the good tackle stores should stock it. Will send you a pm on one that's worth a visit for advice and Fresh bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mate,

Try using some chicken breast slabbed up with parmesan.

also if you can get some mullet or small legal sized tailor in slabs are also another gun bait.

Last month I fished Dads corner for a few flatties and EP's on the turn of the tide.

We did not manage any Jew, the Jew we caught were caught south of the Ramp at Wisemans Ferry I dont know the exact spot as I dont know the area real well, but if you head Downstream from where the Barge goes across the river you may be in with a chance you should see 2 power lines going over the river its around there.

Regards,

Nathan

i think you will find the legal size jew few and far between at wisemans now until around april. i would concentrate on a live mullet or similar at this time of year. peeled prawns are a gun bait around september / october and again in april / may how ever you will find lots of undersized jew at this time of year and you might need a live bait to tempt a bigger specimen , short of that i would be using big slab baits of tailor or mullet but make sure its fresh.as nathan said a big slab of chicken soaked in parmisan and aniseed oil works too ... i got a 14 1/2 kilo jew in early october on that at the spot nathan is talking about near the wires.

good luck.

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots
  • Like 1

Hey Mate,

also if you can get some mullet or small legal sized tailor in slabs are also another gun bait.

Last month I fished Dads corner for a few flatties and EP's on the turn of the tide.

We did not manage any Jew, the Jew we caught were caught south of the Ramp at Wisemans Ferry I dont know the exact spot as I dont know the area real well, but if you head Downstream from where the Barge goes across the river you may be in with a chance you should see 2 power lines going over the river its around there.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi nathan. Those wires your talking about how far south are they from the ramp? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If you travel downstream about 1 1/2 klm the river bends left ,you will see rose ale camping and caravan park on your left travel roughly the same distance again and you will see the wires.... Fish the left hand side of the river roughly 20mtrs out from the mangroves just on the other side of the wires ...... There should be a white trawler tied to a wharf directly opposite on the right hand side of the river ....., there should be good flathead and bream here also..... Days fishin is spot on about herring ! I have seen guys getting them on small bait jigs around the turn of tide at the windsock. Good luck mate . Pete

• Like 1

Hey Mate

I've fished the Hawkesbury a bit in the last year, live or recently caught tailor are a gun bait however remember the size limit.

On the legal tailor even if your keeping it for the pan, the head makes a great jew bait.

I have also caught jew on cooked Thailand prawns which are a great back up to take if you can't manage livies, the bigger the prawn the better!

Forgot to add, by using the cooked prawns your bi-catch is increased - the flatties and bream also love them!

Edited by RexSenior

• 11 months later...
On 16/12/2015 at 1:20 PM, beginner said:

Hey Mate,

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan,

Is this location accessible by boat or land based please?

Regards,

Ben

• 3 years later...

It's been a while since anyone posted on this topic but I will reply here rather than start a new topic.

I am camping at Wisemans Ferry later this month and looking to get some fishing in. I will have my kayak so I will head out on that when I can and I will also be land based with my 4 year old daughter. 

I will have my usual kayak set up which is 2500 reels on 6.6ft and 7ft rods, will this be enough land based or do I need something bigger. I would prefer not to take extra if I don't need it but I also don't want to miss out on giving myself the best chance to catch something (my daughter gets more frustrated than I do when we don't catch anything).

Any other advice is appreciated.

7 hours ago, Nathan81 said:

It's been a while since anyone posted on this topic but I will reply here rather than start a new topic.

I am camping at Wisemans Ferry later this month and looking to get some fishing in. I will have my kayak so I will head out on that when I can and I will also be land based with my 4 year old daughter. 

I will have my usual kayak set up which is 2500 reels on 6.6ft and 7ft rods, will this be enough land based or do I need something bigger. I would prefer not to take extra if I don't need it but I also don't want to miss out on giving myself the best chance to catch something (my daughter gets more frustrated than I do when we don't catch anything).

Any other advice is appreciated.

I think you’ll find those outfits will do fine. No need for anything heavier, unless perhaps you’re targeting big jew. Where are you camping?

Thanks Berley

We will be at Del Rio. Not targeting a jew at this stage but that may change as I get closer, if I was going to target them what is the minimum set up you would recommend? I assume from the bank I really want to get it out into the deeper water.

At this stage its about trying to get something to keep and give my daughter a thrill of catching fish. 

5 hours ago, Nathan81 said:

Thanks Berley

We will be at Del Rio. Not targeting a jew at this stage but that may change as I get closer, if I was going to target them what is the minimum set up you would recommend? I assume from the bank I really want to get it out into the deeper water.

At this stage its about trying to get something to keep and give my daughter a thrill of catching fish. 

OK. I used to have a van at Carinya, straight across the river from Del Rio. We used to get a few good flathead and school jew in the area, including off the jetties, so off the shore at Del Rio should be OK. I’m sure your daughter can get a fish off the shore there. Even if it’s only an eel or a catfish!  With the longer minimum length these days, getting a legal jew might be tough up there. Use Hawkesbury prawns. Work the rock walls for bream and you have a chance at an EP too. It’s worth taking your yak up into Webb’s Creek to chase bass and EPs. I’ve also caught bream and flathead there. Nice and quiet away from the ski and wake boats. Also worth putting a crab trap in for muddies. I’ve caught them just downstream of Del Rio - you’ll see the reeds and mangroves there but I have friends who catch them in a trap thrown off the end of the jetty at Carinya using chook frames or the remainder of a lamb leg roast, whatever... so I’m sure off the jetty at Del Rio would work too. Good luck and and enjoy your holiday with the family!

Awesome thanks for the advice. I will see how her attention span is, hopefully something is biting to keep her going. Definitely getting prawns on her line I will probably have a line in myself with prawns. I will also flick around some SP's as I am finding them fun and mainly use them from my kayak.

I might have a look at Webb's Creek, it will depend on how much time I am given on the water. 

those outfits will be perfect, i would be using chicken with parmesan on one or peeled prawns, and using some plastics on the other, plastics seem to go off in the hawkesbury lately. Caught some decent and some small flatties off the beach just past the ferry a little while ago mid afternoon, and was surprised. 6.6 combo with sienna 2500 2-4kg, nice little fight. 

17 hours ago, Squ!rt said:

those outfits will be perfect, i would be using chicken with parmesan on one or peeled prawns, and using some plastics on the other, plastics seem to go off in the hawkesbury lately. Caught some decent and some small flatties off the beach just past the ferry a little while ago mid afternoon, and was surprised. 6.6 combo with sienna 2500 2-4kg, nice little fight. 

Thanks Squ!rt

I might try and sort out some chicken, do you cut it into cubes or strips (sorry probably a silly question).

What plastics would you recommend in the area, I generally use a 3 inch grub in pumpkin seed for flathead. I'm still only new to plastics so I have a few others that I am testing out.

I have a sienna 2500 on a 7ft 2-4kg rod and also a diawa on a 6.6 rod.

2 hours ago, Nathan81 said:

Thanks Squ!rt

I might try and sort out some chicken, do you cut it into cubes or strips (sorry probably a silly question).

What plastics would you recommend in the area, I generally use a 3 inch grub in pumpkin seed for flathead. I'm still only new to plastics so I have a few others that I am testing out.

I have a sienna 2500 on a 7ft 2-4kg rod and also a diawa on a 6.6 rod.

I normally cut the chicken into sort of triangle strips and put the hook through the chicken twice then dip into the parmy,

I use these plastics> 3 inch minnow  in the chartreus or peppered prawn colour, seem to get decent flatties on the peppered prawn more than the chartreus but depends on water conditions.

I also use these same combos of bait throughout the hawkesbury including berowra.

Best of luck :1clap:

• 5 months later...

What is the fishing usually like at this time of the year around Wisemans Ferry, I will land based? 

Our original plans for camping fell through earlier in the year and I am going to take my daughter for a couple of nights next week. 

I assume I will use the same set up and baits as I would have when it was a touch warmer.

Thanks

I had an on-site van at Wisemans for about 4 years. Fishing was definitely better in the warmer months but it often depended on the salinity. An old rule of thumb was if the jellyfish were about it was salty enough. Having said that, my van was in a ski park and I didn’t ski, so I’d fish year round. Could usually manage bream and the odd flathead in winter and the occasional small jew. Too many catfish, though! Can’t help much re land based though as I fished from a boat except for the odd session off the jetty at the park. Fish the tide changes because the current really races along. Peeled prawns seemed to work best.

Edited by Berleyguts

On 8/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, Nathan81 said:

What is the fishing usually like at this time of the year around Wisemans Ferry, I will land based? 

Our original plans for camping fell through earlier in the year and I am going to take my daughter for a couple of nights next week. 

I assume I will use the same set up and baits as I would have when it was a touch warmer.

Thanks

Mate forget it! The river is a mud hole after all the rain and the fish are on holidays!