Another good day at the river

big Neil

My fishing buddy was feeling crook so I had a day out (alone) on the river. Checked out the water flow/ levels chart and decided Narrandera looked promising. I only had cheese for bait and would try to get some freshwater shrimp from the river...but was confident I would get a few fish. Headed upstream against a fairly strong flowing current and fished numerous spots in roughly 1/2 km of river. The shrimp were very scarce (only got about 6 all day) so it was down to the cheese to do the trick for me. I moved from spot to spot, managing to catch some fish at each place. I moved when I failed to get a bite for 1/2 an hour or so. The catches were very regular and ranged from 15cms to 53 cm fish. What was very interesting (to me) was how many good trout cod I caught. Fisheries have been restocking the Murrumbidgee above Narrandera, with millions of trout cod, for more than 10 years now. What I caught represented solid endorsement of their programme, working. I believe the trout cod would have been living and growing, at a healthy rate, from those very fingerlings. They are still on the protected list, but it's great to see so many of these highly aggressive fish thriving in the river. Total for the 5 hour day was 3 Murray Cod (45 -53cms), 20 Trout Cod (15 -53cms) and only 1 unfortunate Carp. All Cod species were returned to the water. No photos of the catches today...but an area that I'll definitely target again.

Well done Neil. I would so love to stock some trout cod in to my dams but at the moment they are not selling them to the public as they all go in to the rivers. Fair enough of course but I can't wait to get the opportunity to have my own little playground get another species!

I'm curious. What area are you in and what do you have stocked in your dams at present Captain?

Sounds like a great day. I love seeing pics of trout cod so next time your out post some up for us!

I'll do that. These larger Trout Cod are a very good looking fish. Murray Cod are too. I'm fascinated by how predatory the freshwater Cod species are. Neil.