My prawning setup

quochuy

Having joined @Stapo on several occasion for prawning, I had a close lookat Steve's and his prawning buddies awesome looking DIY gears, from PVC lights to custom homemade floating prawning stations. I started prawning with an Alvey shoulder bag which works a treat for slow evenings but when lots of prawns are swimming it can become a hassle and when wadding into deeper areas you need to becareful the critters don't swim out.

post-31714-14505781531729_thumb.jpg

So I wanted my own floating station too! The ones from Steve mates are made of polystyrene sheets cut and glued together and look really neat, painted and all. But I wanted to go as cheap as can be and managed to make one for $0 (almost). Here are the materials:

- a boogie board from the neighbourhood (council pickup)

- a veggie foam box found lying near the beach (people throw all sort of things on the beach, sigh)

- some 40mm pvc tubes (off cuts)

- a 20mm pvc tube (off cuts)

- some glue, I used Shelleys Liquid Nails but I reckon their All Clear should work too. If you use another type of glue do some test first as some might melt the polystyrene.

I started by placing the foam box on top of the boogie board and with a knife I traced the contour of the box onto the board. Then I removed the box and carved into the box to make an indentation of about 1cm deep. Then put some glue inside and placed the box on. I placed some heavy stuffs in the box to add some pressure to help the glue. After two hours in the heat of the garage the glue started to dry off and I then cut the foam box's lid to make a separator in order to have to compartments for the box, one to hold the prawns and one to hold drinks, batteries, tackle, you name it...

I then trimmed the accessories compartment down by about 12cm so it is less deep for easy accessories access. The 40mm pvc is then cut to height and glued at the back for holding the scoop net. The 20mm one is glued at the front it will be the rod holder for my pen fishing rod.

As it is, it is very useable already. I might do some paint work later:

post-31714-14505781349688_thumb.jpg

Yesterday evening I went trying the stuff out. As expected the prawning was dying off and I caught just enough for using them as livies. The floating station worked a treat and I could also store the fish I caught: tailors, breams and whitings. The only flatties I managed to hookup managed to escape my fingers. I'll get him tonight. And will try to remember taking some pictures of the fish too...

post-31714-14505788527566_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gonefishinginoz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to share a bad experience with the floating station. I have put the net holder at the back of the station and today a gust of wind caught the net and made it capsize. Managed to save all the gears but wasn't happy.

So that made me thinking and I did a bit of test and having the net holder in near the center is more stable. Having it at the back made it pivot easily as there is no much surface behind the holder. Having it in the center only makes the station slide back instead of flipping over.

Another solution would be to use some kind of ballast glued under the board.

Or if you want to overkill it you can make two mini outriggers hahaha

Good lesson: allow more space behind the net holder.

Edited by gonefishinginoz

Yeah huy Marvin and Ray spent hours designing the originals. Lots of test runs. If they are too heavy in the front where a battery might go they nose dive in strong current.

They can tip sideways if too tall in windy conditions.

With the boogie board set up I think they cut a hole for the box and set it in the board creating like a rudder.

So they eventually went to the insulation material so they could shape it to their special needs

Have a talk to Marvin. He's seen them all. You don't wanna loose your prawns man. Lol

Yeah huy Marvin and Ray spent hours designing the originals. Lots of test runs. If they are too heavy in the front where a battery might go they nose dive in strong current.

They can tip sideways if too tall in windy conditions.

With the boogie board set up I think they cut a hole for the box and set it in the board creating like a rudder.

So they eventually went to the insulation material so they could shape it to their special needs

Have a talk to Marvin. He's seen them all. You don't wanna loose your prawns man. Lol

Yeah I bet they did test many variances. The boogie board is definitely not wide enough. Another lesson learned today: don't use spray paint as the solvent in it will melt the polystyrene!

The paint I used was water based it was left over from something. Be careful with the glue if you have to clean with turps it will eat the stryro foam.

I used stryo foam on my model railroad and cut it with a hot wire and this gives a clean cut or you can use a fine panel saw and sand with 240 gn on the cut edge be very gentle and you will get a smooth edge.

I use Knauf insulation panels from the big warehouse red and green that wear the aprons and girls wear big boots.

1.2mx60cmx5cm -$20,1.2x60cmx3cm $12

Selleys allfix glue - cylinder $9.60

25mmx25mm plastic angle 2.4m $5 x2

The glue is water based, I googled glue for styro foam and this came up plus others.

For stability a keel on the bottom should be OK, the width of the float is 600mm as a body board is narrower this could be the problem.

You don't want the net in the float when you get in the water, I had mine in my hand and torch ready no prawn was going to get away from me (well 18 didn't).

norm

Edited by fredflathead

In the early days, I used truck inner tubes which are tuff as with a pvc container the size of a recycling container. Set it up so you gave the battery in the centre with foam supporting it. It worked very well since the inner tubes can be substantially inflated to maintain good stability.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Good heavens, I don't want to be a prawn at The Entrance this season I would have no hope of getting to the open ocean to have sex and then die.

I don't remember any of these floats when I prawned in the 50s, science has come a long way.

We are now talking about the aero dynamics, the prawns have no chance.

Edited by fredflathead

Hi,

My son made a quick floating prawn set up that is really stable. He got a disused boogie board and a tall white plastic bucket with lid.

Cut a round hole in the boogie board and a set of small holes in the bottom of the bucket.

The bucket then pushed through the hole till about 4 to 5 inches are below the board. It then takes in fresh sea water in the bottom of the bucket to keep the prawns alive in. It also adds a bit of weight to the setup keeping it really stable. I thought it may cause drag but it's not an issue even in reasonably running water.

KB

Hi,

My son made a quick floating prawn set up that is really stable. He got a disused boogie board and a tall white plastic bucket with lid.

Cut a round hole in the boogie board and a set of small holes in the bottom of the bucket.

The bucket then pushed through the hole till about 4 to 5 inches are below the board. It then takes in fresh sea water in the bottom of the bucket to keep the prawns alive in. It also adds a bit of weight to the setup keeping it really stable. I thought it may cause drag but it's not an issue even in reasonably running water.

KB

Nice Koalaboi

Good idea, since the more prawns you catch the more water gets filtered into the bucket from the extra weight and holes and still maintaining buoyancy. Does he carry the battery on the back?

1400f20f16a9e1f8cfa15225febe871d.jpg

Ok. These little blue boats we used a few years ago. Marvin imported them from Israel. Yes Israel. It was the only place you could get them.

They were great we still have them.