My prawning setup

quochuy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just come back from the store with red and green aprons and girls wear big boots.

12v LED lights and PVC fittings, youtubed an American sight gigging for flounder and seen how to make a light.

I think I can make 4 for the price of 1 bought from a tackle shop.

Will keep you posted.

Just come back from the store with red and green aprons and girls wear big boots.

12v LED lights and PVC fittings, youtubed an American sight gigging for flounder and seen how to make a light.

I think I can make 4 for the price of 1 bought from a tackle shop.

Will keep you posted.

Are you talking about this?

My cousin and I just made two of them out of pvc and transparent pvc.

post-31714-14508635919497_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am making a unit very similar to the one you buy for about $50- $70 and it will run a small 12v battery.

I bought the LED 12v lights and connectors from the place where the girls were big boots and aprons they cost me $20 for 4, they are 4w-260lumens the connectors were $15 for 5 you can do without these however this is the better way, you could solder female connectors onto the pins and save money.

The head unit is from a plumbing supply as I was looking for a unit that I got off the youtube sight and have not found it in aus yet, it cost $4.28 with a reducer to take it down to 3/4".

The conduit is a scrape piece I had, with a heat gun I molded it around a paint tin to give it an angle.

It will run off a 12v 7.2amp which I all ready have.

post-17426-0-02739800-1450896125_thumb.jpgpost-17426-0-27551200-1450896178_thumb.jpgpost-17426-0-50855600-1450896224_thumb.jpg

I will also make a double header, The lens for the front is made out plastic I already have,

I will put up the complete plans and how I made it when I work it out. (I will bring it up on the 30th Huey).

My wife says it would be cheaper to go the Sydney Fish Markets and buy the prawns what she doesn't realise it keeps me out off her hair whilst I am up in the shed.

I am making a unit very similar to the one you buy for about $50- $70 and it will run a small 12v battery.

I bought the LED 12v lights and connectors from the place where the girls were big boots and aprons they cost me $20 for 4, they are 4w-260lumens the connectors were $15 for 5 you can do without these however this is the better way, you could solder female connectors onto the pins and save money.

The head unit is from a plumbing supply as I was looking for a unit that I got off the youtube sight and have not found it in aus yet, it cost $4.28 with a reducer to take it down to 3/4".

The conduit is a scrape piece I had, with a heat gun I molded it around a paint tin to give it an angle.

It will run off a 12v 7.2amp which I all ready have.

attachicon.gifprawn light.JPGattachicon.gifLed lights and connectors.JPGattachicon.giflight unit 2.JPG

I will also make a double header, The lens for the front is made out plastic I already have,

I will put up the complete plans and how I made it when I work it out. (I will bring it up on the 30th Huey).

My wife says it would be cheaper to go the Sydney Fish Markets and buy the prawns what she doesn't realise it keeps me out off her hair whilst I am up in the shed.

Nice one norm.

I have a mate who does the same thing. They can run off the small motor bike batteries. His major problem was the glue part and keeping it all waterproof.

0c4884514041993a15fe4e365d6d0677.jpg

This photo of one I bought from those flounder gigging yanks. Cree led light 900lum. Takes 2 lithium batteries. Works ok but expensive to import.

Good stuff.

Cheers Steve

Just returned from the girls in aprons and big boots.

The items to make a twin bulb unit.

25mmx20mm Reducing bush 1.54 x2 =3.08

50x25mm Reducing coupling 4.38x2=8.76

20mmx1m Press PVC pipe 3.00x2=6.00

20mm Press PVC Tee Plain 1.65x2=3.30

20mm Press PVC Elbow 90deg 1.15x2 =2.30

20mm 45deg Press PVC Elbow 1x1.40

20mm Press PVC Cap End 2x1.55=3.10

Globes 5.00x2 = 10.00

TOTAL 35.64

The lens, wiring and batteries, I already have.post-17426-0-47974200-1450914135_thumb.jpgpost-17426-0-07856000-1450914173_thumb.jpg

The yanks use the handle and the piece past the handle gives support as I thinks it would get heavy with the two lights.I tested the single one in the fish pond yesterday and I think there is no leaks.

Used the blue pvc pipe glue and silicon on the lens.

I am after lexan polycarbonate for the lens, I replaced my windscreen on my boat so I will go and see if he has scrape so I can make better lenses, as the lexan is so dear,

A good idea about the extension for the sand.

norm

I am after lexan polycarbonate for the lens, I replaced my windscreen on my boat so I will go and see if he has scrape so I can make better lenses, as the lexan is so dear,

norm

I have some unused sheets of plexiglass if you want some

Amazing what you find in your shed !!!!! I replaced the windscreen and side windscreens on the boat and there they are. Never throw anything out.

With a hole saw with the pilot drill taken out and a very slow speed on the bench drill I now have perfect lenses for my led lights.

Gonefishinginoz I don't need the perspex thanks.

norm

Great Thread Guys, I move to St Georges Basin in 2 weeks and will be keen to chase some for the stove and for bait.

In the past I have simply used a LED Headlight and net, can you tell me if the underwater lights are much better? Also why the large battery's, with all the tech these days surly there is a light weight lite that runs of disposable batteries?

Otherwise, I am liking the idea of towing the bucket with you to save on trips back to the shore to empty the net.

Great Thread Guys, I move to St Georges Basin in 2 weeks and will be keen to chase some for the stove and for bait.

In the past I have simply used a LED Headlight and net, can you tell me if the underwater lights are much better? Also why the large battery's, with all the tech these days surly there is a light weight lite that runs of disposable batteries?

Otherwise, I am liking the idea of towing the bucket with you to save on trips back to the shore to empty the net.

Yes the underwater lights are much better.

They start with led lights powered by batteries that go down the handle.

To go brighter you use the led that need bigger batterie say the motor bike size.

There's the older version of halogen lights

Very bright but they need the small car battery. There's various types of Cree and led torches which use the lithium ion batteries. Very bright. Bit expensive.

Cheers Steve.

Norm your getting addicted. Sounds a bit like me. Ha. Hope to catch up in the new year. I won't be back till January 3. Huy will look after you and my other mate Marvin. He's the gun prawner. 507d650ed7cf87afd2f982282833d816.jpg

Steve coming up on the 30th Huy could not wait any longer. Will only be there for the one night and returning in the early morning.

Was nice to meet you tonight Norm. You hopefully have a good feed of prawns. I got about 1.2kg tonight.

post-31714-14514930447862_thumb.jpg

Also found where flatheads are setting ambush

post-31714-14514930676642_thumb.jpg