Plugging a flat tyre

Fab1

Hi guys I stumbled upon a stranded family today that was heading south for the holidays.I pulled over to lend a hand to find they had a flat and no spare.Luckily I have a tyre repair kit a few minutes away at home that I could make a temporary repair for them to see them on their way.

I pulled the wheel off and took it home while they waited at their car.

First job was to find the leak using a spray bottle and soapy water-post-20199-0-73553500-1450837474_thumb.jpgIf there's a foreign object in the tread such as a screw,nail etc be sure to pull it out.This tyre had been punctured without anything stuck in the tread.

The next step is to use the reaming tool to expand and clean out the hole ready for the plug by inserting the tool into the hole and pulling it in and out a few times-post-20199-0-65990000-1450837748_thumb.jpgIf your tyre still has air in it leave the tool in the hole while you prepare the tool for the plug so that you don't lose too much air.

No you're ready to insert a plug half way into the plug tool as shown which is basically an oversize needle with an opening for removal of the tool in its eyelet-post-20199-0-60983900-1450837981_thumb.jpg

post-20199-0-18676600-1450838018_thumb.jpg

Now put some of the provided glue on the plug and get ready to remove the reaming tool an replace it by forcefully pressing the plugging tool into the hole so that approximately half the plug is in the tread and half is out of the tread as shown-post-20199-0-61781000-1450838243_thumb.jpgpost-20199-0-25425600-1450838283_thumb.jpg

Pull the tool out of the hole and you'll be left with a plugged tyre-post-20199-0-71163400-1450838359_thumb.jpg

All that's left to do is trim the excess plug with a razor blade or a pair if side cutters close to the tread,the plug will quickly wear to tread level as you drive-post-20199-0-42578800-1450838481_thumb.jpg

Please be aware that it's infact illegal to plug tyres and they should never be used on the tyres sidewalls or within a certain distance away from the sidewalk when plugging the tread and should only be used in an emergency and be fixed properly by a tyre shop ASAP.

But with a newborn baby on board I did what I had to do as they had no one to help them other than the nice people beeping their horns at them yelling abuse.

This family where here from Adelaide and apparently the mechanic forgot to put the spare back in the wheel well when last serviced.

If there's anything to learn from this is check other people's work as mistakes are often made.

These tyre repair kits and a small compressor carried in your car could save you one day.

If I have any problems on the road I sure hope you are not far behind Fab!

These people sound pretty unlucky the spare was removed. There must be plenty of people that a carrying a flat spare tyre around as well. It's also scary to think how many poorly maintained trailers will be travelling long distances over the next few weeks.

Great tips and very timely for the holiday season!

Your welcome

If I have any problems on the road I sure hope you are not far behind Fab!

These people sound pretty unlucky the spare was removed. There must be plenty of people that a carrying a flat spare tyre around as well. It's also scary to think how many poorly maintained trailers will be travelling long distances over the next few weeks.

I like to help where i can as i hope one day when i need a hand it will come back to me.If people lent a hand to fellow humans at a time of need instead of driving by yelling abuse the world would be a better place.Fat chance of that ever happening.I can't remember the exact percentage but it's said that there's a high number of cars running around with under inflated tyres let alone with a flat spare.The poorly maintained trailers of all types will be out in force as they get dustd of and hitched up to the family tug for the annual pilgrimage.

Fabian, I take my hat off to you I wish that there were more people in the world like you. well done Champ!!!

what is your yearly membership fee? I might consider switching to FAB1 Roadside Assist LOL!!!

your spot on about the dodgey trailers on the road, I have seen a few allready.

Regards,

Nathan

I have a pressure can with hose (with sealant inside) to attach to a tyre valve, I've never had to use it and I can't see the brand on the internet but Autobarn have the same thing called Pump my Ride for $16.99 online and in store $? If your tyre does not have a big hole in it you can just re-inflate it to get you quite a long way to a repair facility.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/holts-tyre-weld-350g-ht2

PS, I don't work for them or anybody else.