New to lures and braid - some help?

dasher

So I'm new to using braid and lures. For years it has been a running sinker on mono line, size 6 long shank and a prawn.

But now I am wanting to get a little more serious.

How do you guys do your rigging. How are you attaching you lures to your fluro leaders - knots or clips and then how are you connecting the leader to the braid - knots, swivels or swivels and clips?

Just trying to get an idea of how I should be going about running these setups.

Any help - much appreciated

Im still pretty new to the lures and braid game myself, but pretty much my main line is braid followed by a simplified FG knot to about 1-2 rod lengths worth of fluro and either a norman speed clip or asari clip (Or just straight to the lure if I feel like knot tying). Thats pretty much it.. haha I've been told that swivels etc effect the action of the lures a bit, although im still an amateur so I don't really know just how bad that it but I'm guessing it's unwanted. All my outfits run the same sort of system now even the ones for throwing bait. :) hope it helps and I hope an expert steps in for a few more tips I can mooch off of too hahaha

I am also a relative lure newbie so also interested in what others suggest. On my bigger boat rods I run braid to a mono shock leader (FG knot) to a snap swivel. I tie my trolling lures with a loop knot in flouro to a solid ring which I attach to the snap swivel. I also tie my paternosters to a solid ring, so I can switch between bottom bashing and trolling easily.

For my light gear I run braid to a mono shock leader to swivel, then flouro trace to plastic or lure. Uni knots for all terminal tackle.

Shock leader ~3m, flouro leader around 3'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll generally only use snap swivels when using crankbaits, vibes otherwise things like poppers, spinnerbaits, soft plastics I find all get affected I find in not just action but the feel I get back through the rod top. I think an important part of fishing with lures is having a good sensitive rod that allows accurate casting.

For tying braid to leader I just do a double uni knot. Not the best out there but it's one of the simplest to do and give you strength at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest guys tying swivels and clips into your rigs is just creating one more knot to snap off later and yes it does affect the action as well as the bite sensitivity. Easiest set up to use for a beginner (i still use this for everything but kings and jews) is a simple double uni knot and make sure you lubricate your knots before you pull them tight!!! Youtube will sort you out if you're not familiar with it.

Goodluck! Very exciting way to fish.

Guest Guest123456789

I'm a novice too dasher, and also interested the read what some of the experts might suggest.

What I do think IMHO:

The FG knot is a must.

Use lots of wind on leader. Kings fight dirty and they will try to bury you on ledges from the rocks. I use 5 metres at least.

learn to tie the FG knot there are a few ways to tie it try them and use the one you feel comfortable with. for SP,s a fluro leader of around 1 1/2 rod lengths is good. it will shorten with use. I put a new one on when it gets down to about 3/4 of a meter. I use clips on heavier SP,s and Vibes but lighter finess lures I tie straight on . I have 2 rods set up for bait fishing 4 lb braid and 8 lb fluro leader , a running barrel sinker to a swivel then fluro again to 3 red and one fluro bead tied to a 1/0 black magic KL circle hook . I like lure fishing, my wife prefers bait. we usually drift and she lets the fish load the rod then then just lifts it. the fluro bead is good in murky water. The barrel sinker slides over the yabby holes! the ball sinkers get caught in them.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I have today attached 1 1/2 rod lengths of fluro to my braid using the FG knot. Then tied direct onto the hard body I want to try for bream.

Currently only have one decent rod for lures with braid - the other two are cheap combo's for bait. Will get another one set up so swapping between a HB and a SP is only a swap of rod. Keep the bait rods as is for now.

Heaps of good info to keep me occupied for a while. Cheers

Much depends on what you're targeting as to what is better. I fish (mainly) for Murray Cod and use the FG knot to attach Braid to Fluro leader. For lures I use a loop knot tied directly to the lure. ie not the split ring which they often come with. This provides the absolute best action for my large lures. Spinnerbaits get attached to the leader with a normal (tuck blood) knot...this provides limited movement and keeps the Spinnerbait upright. When I fish for Flatties, Bream ,etc with soft plastics, I always tie the leader directly to the SP with the tuck blood knot. Hope this is helpful.

Hit the water this Morning down near Woolwich. The set up of fluro and braid with the FG knot appears to have worked well. No issues.

Didn't catch any fish either ;) but seems to be easier that I thought.

Thanks for all the tips