Don't let Mother Nature get in the way of a good fishing trip!

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

Glad to be posting this after some average weather in Newcastle!

I had the alarm set for 5:30am yesterday to catch some worms on the low tide however was woken up just before that with a howling southerly. It's been a couple of weeks without wetting a line so I went out anyway and despite the wind, had my bag limit of beach worms in less than an hour (first time ever and worms usually hate the wind!).

The plan was to head out early today however after getting exited about the bag of worms I called my uncle and decided to have an overnight fish in Swansea Channel.

So we headed out about 5pm yesterday and set up the worst looking 3-man tent ever in the 40km/hr southerly in anticipation for the rain. We had to bury half of it to stop it blowing away as the tent pegs were useless in the sand.

Finally got a line out about 6pm and landed a few nice bream in a couple of hours, then sat around the fire in the moonlight cooking food and being merry, with the odd buzz of the reel down on the beach to keep us happy.

Ended up with well over 30 fish after a friend met us there in the morning, let most of them go in the morning session as we had enough for our families & the thought of cleaning all of them got the better of us!

Most fish were taken on worms, however the bigger bream (up to 41cm) seemed to like the cooked prawns once the sun went down.

Lesson learnt - When conditions are horrid and you have nothing better to do, get out there anyway!!

Cheers, James

post-34486-0-09498400-1451288846_thumb.jpg

Cheers for the support guys.

Just to clarify, the smallest bream here was around 27cm and as mentioned there were some legal fish thrown back in the morning.

It may look excessive at a glance but the photo is the result of 12hrs fishing each for my uncle and I, and a few for my friend in the morning.

On average I probably take home 2 or 3 fish each trip, with many trips coming home empty handed so when I have a good day I don't mind taking some for the family within the legal limits.

Happy with the catch and will not be doing anything different next time :)

Cheers for the support guys.

Just to clarify, the smallest bream here was around 27cm and as mentioned there were some legal fish thrown back in the morning.

It may look excessive at a glance but the photo is the result of 12hrs fishing each for my uncle and I, and a few for my friend in the morning.

On average I probably take home 2 or 3 fish each trip, with many trips coming home empty handed so when I have a good day I don't mind taking some for the family within the legal limits.

Happy with the catch and will not be doing anything different next time :)

Just a heads up all - see site rule below

13. No criticism of legal catches and/or inappropriate imposing of C&R views in fishing reports

CLICK HERE FOR ALL SITE RULES

Nice Haul, it brings back memories of when I was in High School and fished the old Pier next to the Highway Bridge you would basically catch them at your feet and there was so many of them.

to this day I have never experienced anything like it. Nothing wrong with bringing a feed home mate!!! as we all know theres a lot of sessions that we come home empty handed.

I cant wait till I get out there this weekend hopefully I bag a few also.

Regards,

Nathan

Nice Haul, it brings back memories of when I was in High School and fished the old Pier next to the Highway Bridge you would basically catch them at your feet and there was so many of them.

to this day I have never experienced anything like it. Nothing wrong with bringing a feed home mate!!! as we all know theres a lot of sessions that we come home empty handed.

I cant wait till I get out there this weekend hopefully I bag a few also.

Regards,

Nathan

Yeah I know that jetty well, it's gone now though but the fish are still there - perhaps not as many.

It was great for the flatties too and if you had the gear there were as many leather Jackets as you wanted!

Good memories.