The nightmare continues - Gasket gone and dead outboard

jgrant666

Ok just an update, have just started to remove the powerhead and the flywheel has siezed, which would seem to confirm a leaky Gasket allowing water into the cylinders. Will see how we go but a reco powerhead might now be on the cards if it has totally siezed

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Progress has come to a halt. Unfortunately my father in law doesn't have a gear lifter that will fit my flywheel. Have found the right thread for the johnson one though so off to bunnings to get more bolts with the same thread, hoping we can fabricate up a plate we can bolt on to the flywheel to get it off. Otherwise the carbys and fuel system have been removed, throttle is all disassembled, starter motor is gone so if we can get the flywheel off we're good to pull out and inspect the powerhead. He has to work tomorrow though so I'll only have Friday and Saturday at most to try and sort it! Not liking my chances but we'll see how it goes......

Hi all, Just got back from Coffs so thought I'd share my progress so far......

Over the course of 3 days we managed to totally strip the engine. Head Gasket and exhaust Gasket both looking iffy and 2 cylinders with water. Pulled out the pistons and after a bit of TLC and some wd 40 they were moving smoothly again. Also the main bearing and one of the smaller bearings on the crankshaft had siezed, managed to clean them up and get them moving but not as freely as I'd like.......

With time running out we decided to pull the pin at that point so that at least I could have one day to relax and do stuff with the family before heading back (still no fishing though :@. Decided not to waste the fuel bringing the boat back as we'd made pretty decent progress all things considered so I'll try and get back up there soon to start putting things back together.

We've cleaned most of the major parts of the powerhead (heads, manifolds, crankcase etc) so when I get back all we need to do is run a cylinder hone over the cylinders. Before then I'll try and pick up some new bearings for the crankshaft and con rods, then it's just a matter of putting the new gaskets in and putting it all back together again! Might be able to make a long weekend out of Australia day to get back up there.

My father in law suggested just going to a bearing place rather than through a marine dealer for the bearings

The main crankshaft bearing at least has a code on it and looks to be reasonably common so that's the plan before I head back. Since water isn't supposed to get in there anyway I can't imagine there would be much difference between bearings except for the marine dealers mark-up??????

Too knackered from the drive atm but will post some pics in next day or two. Thanks for reading!

Jgrant,

Sounds like you and your father - In Law have made some good progress.

also sounds like water has been coming in the motor for quite some time.

Hopefully you wont have issues after this.

did you end up checking the thermostat?

The best part is now you and your father-in Law have been right over the motor and can be assured its in good order at the completion of the project.

just wondering if you have drained and replaced the gearbox oil? this is another preventative maintenance exercise you may want to do cause you do not know when this was done last and depending on how the oil looks you can determine if the seals are good or not and you may prevent gearbox damage if you detect a bad seal the oil will appear milky and water will be present if this is the case. while your doing the work I think this is worthwhile, good luck with it and hope to see you back on the water soon!!

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks Nathan! I have removed the thermostat but not checked it yet, since it's still in pieces I might even replace it anyway if they're not too expensive. Otherwise it will be one of the first jobs when I get back up there. When I had the impeller done that mechanic checked the gearbox oil and said it looked fine. The motor had been serviced before we bought it in around July last year so it should have been done then anyway, though if we get the time I'll try and change it anyway. Good tip though :-)

• 4 weeks later...

thanks guys. The boat's still up in coffs, managed to totally dissemble the motor and clean all the major components, but ran out of time to start on the rebuild. I'll be back up there over Easter and by then I should have all new bearings sorted for the crankshafts in addition to the gasket kit already purchased so fingers crossed we can get it back together again and running

@locodave - yep it certainly is a nice part of the world up there. yet to fish it properly but it looks like we're finally going to be able to get the family off the sydney hamster wheel at the end of the year and move up there, so I'll be looking forward to exploring the region. I'm especially keen to give the lower clarence round yamba and kalang river near urunga a crack, they both just seem to scream fish and mud crabs!

• 1 year later...