Old Boat | Seafury | Advice for a newbie on repairs

Baysic

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and have recently picked up a small runabout which has some issues.

The boat is a 1979 Dehavilland Sea Fury with an Evinrude motor of the same vintage.

Its got a transom mounted fishfinder, two drain holes, 1 strangely to an area that can not be accessed from inside the boat.

it also has a burley bucket and two screws holding nothing.

The issue is the Boat Leaks.

I assume from research that I should look at bung holes and any through hull fittings and re do - with some sikaflex.

There are no obvious cracks in the hull.

Any other ideas?

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and have recently picked up a small runabout which has some issues.

The boat is a 1979 Dehavilland Sea Fury with an Evinrude motor of the same vintage.

Its got a transom mounted fishfinder, two drain holes, 1 strangely to an area that can not be accessed from inside the boat.

it also has a burley bucket and two screws holding nothing.

The issue is the Boat Leaks.

I assume from research that I should look at bung holes and any through hull fittings and re do - with some sikaflex.

There are no obvious cracks in the hull.

Any other ideas?

Welcome to the Forum.You pretty much answered your own question,all the places you mention need to be checked along with all the hardware mounting the outboard to the stern.Sealants/glues can shrink/breakdown over time and fasteners can become loose etc.Considering your boat would be going onto 37yrs old that's plenty of time.Also a few photos would be great to help with your quest.

Cheers.

Fill the boat with water see if you can see any water escaping from anywhere!

Take out the bottom bung and see if any water has got into bottom of hull!

Some cracks only let water in when under pressure, pretty hard to find these!

Good Luck, hope you manage to sort it out.

Jeff

• 1 month later...