Kid friendly fish tacos

kiwicraig

It would be fair to say my kids have no appreciation for how lucky they are to regularly have fish that has only been out of the ocean do a few hours. I have been using the extra fishing time I've had over the holidays to experiment with recipes to try and get something they will enjoy. Or at least complain about less.

I think I am onto a winner with my fish tacos. Basically it is a battered flathead tail with a smear of homemade lime Mayo, topped with lettuce and diced tomatoes. The first time I made them I added some diced avocado as well, but I didn't have one yesterday.

Ready to serve. 739b6fb9e03d1eef3f8b72943c8b0552.jpg

The result - both kids that usually complain about fish came back for seconds!

171a58704d891c9442f86b4147ad3fb3.jpg

Happy to share the recipe if there is interest - just need to type it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks great! the batter looks particularly crispy, I'd be interested in the recipe :-)

I've got the opposite problem, the kids love the fish just not so much going out to catch them (but I'll keep working on that once I can get the boat back in the water......)

Here's the recipe - it's an original.

The Tortillas and the Lime Mayo can be made in advance. For the tortillas you can wrap them in foil and freeze them - then just put the whole package in an oven on 180 for 15-20 mins to warm through.

Flour Tortillas (you can use store bought ones but these are easy and taste better - they are just not as perfectly round)

2 1/2 cups plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

3 Tbs sunflower or canola oil

~ 3/4 C warm water

Put the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the oil then slowly mix in the water to form a smooth soft dough. You don't want it too stiff. Knead it for 5 mins then form it into a ball. Let the dough rest for 5 mins, then divide it up into 12 portions.

Put a non-stick (or lightly oiled) frying pan on a medium heat. If you have a non-stick pan then you don't need to oil it - the oil in the dough is enough to stop it sticking.

One at a time roll the portions out as thin as you can - they should be about 20cms across. (If you can't get them thin then either you made the dough too stiff or you did not rest it long enough - after you've made them a few times you get a feel for it). Cook in the pan for about 30 seconds or until you start to see bubbles forming in it. Turn it over. Ideally you should see little golden brown spots but don't worry too much if not. The second side will need less time. Probably about 20 seconds tops. I get in to a bit of a rhythm where I put one in the pan to cook, roll the next one out with a rolling pin, turn the first one, flatten a third one with my hands then remove the first one from the pan, put the second one in the pan and repeat.

As you cook them drop them into a tortilla warmer if you have one - otherwise put them on a plate and cover with foil to keep them both warm and moist.

Lime Mayo (Can be made in advance - will keep in a sterile jar in the fridge for a couple of weeks - this will make enough for two batches of fish tacos so I just store the rest until I make more)

1 egg

1 fresh lime

1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

1/4 tsp salt

small pinch of white pepper

Just over a 1/2 a cup of sunflower oil - call it 1/2 a cup and a Tbsp

Peel one end the lime with a vegie peeler and cut it into the thinnest strips you can manage (julienne is the technical term)

Zest the other half of the lime put the rind and the zest aside (it is much easier to do these things while the lime is intact - before you juice it)

Cut the lime in half and juice it into a cup - you only need 1 1/2 Tbsp later.

In a tall skinny jug place the egg, 1 1/2 Tbs lime juice salt and pepper. I love this bit - pour in the oil and whizz it with a stick blender. It turns to mayo. Stir through the reserved zest and rind - you don't want to puree them with the stick blender.

Fish Tacos

3 x Tomatoes

1/4 lettuce

12 tortillas

4 flathead fillets

Lime Mayo

Dice the tomatoes and cut the lettuce into thin strips.

Cut each flathead fillet into three thin strips (Tail, belly and shoulder). Batter these with your favorite beer batter or use my recipe here and fry them off. Cover with paper towels to keep them warm as you cook.

To assemble simply place a tortilla on the plate, put on a piece of fish. Use the back of a teaspoon to put a smear of mayo on the fish, then put a small handful of shredded lettuce. Sprinkle over a few diced tomatoes. Fold it over (note the order is important. The mayo stops too much of the lettuce falling out as you eat).

----

The above sounds very involved - but if you've made the mayo in advance then it is really quite a quick meal. Even the tortillas don't take long to make once you have the hand of it.

looks great! the batter looks particularly crispy, I'd be interested in the recipe :-)

I've got the opposite problem, the kids love the fish just not so much going out to catch them (but I'll keep working on that once I can get the boat back in the water......)

Done - I put the batter recipe up separately as that is an art in itself and I wanted to include some of my learnings.

love the recipes and thanks for adding to our collection

I might have to organise a CHEF badge for members that add lots of recipes :)

Love the idea of a CHEF badge! I've got a couple more tricks up my sleeve I'll share as I get the right by-catch.

Now I just need to get more proficient at catching squid so I can work on my chilli squid recipe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk