reel servicing using Marine Grease

fish88

Hi All,

I am looking for grease and oil to service my reels, I will be my first time doing it. I have pflueger salt spinning reel size 60.

can anyone recommend a good quality grease and oil?

Has anyone use this Lubrimatic Marine Grease to service their reels?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Lubrimatic-Marine-Grease-454g.aspx?pid=341400#Recommendations

kind regards,

paul

Hi All,

I am looking for grease and oil to service my reels, I will be my first time doing it. I have pflueger salt spinning reel size 60.

can anyone recommend a good quality grease and oil?

Has anyone use this Lubrimatic Marine Grease to service their reels?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Lubrimatic-Marine-Grease-454g.aspx?pid=341400#Recommendations

kind regards,

paul

One thing I can tell you after years of servicing reels, every reel likes different thicknesses of grease. Trial and error is the only way. Get it wrong and it will either be too stiff or too free spinning. I'm not experienced in the reel you have.

One thing I can tell you after years of servicing reels, every reel likes different thicknesses of grease. Trial and error is the only way. Get it wrong and it will either be too stiff or too free spinning. I'm not experienced in the reel you have.

thanks, i will grab Inox MX8 from BCF, it is pretty good price for 500g, this will last for years to come. is it safe to apply on the drag?

do I need to apply oil on any part of the reel?

thanks.

I wouldnt use it on the drag. Drag greases are of a different consistency . You wont be able to service an entire reel with one product. Get the proper drag grease, shimano do a decent one, but dont muck around...buy Cals drag grease, the tan coloured one, not the cheap purple one.

Oil you should use on things like the line roller, moving parts on the handle...the areas around the bail arm where it pivots. The lighter the oil you use, the more often this will need to be done. Normal sewing machine oil will suffice, which is pretty much the same thing that daiwa sell as reel service oil in the little pens.

If you are completely servicing the reel, the main shaft ,idler shaft.worm drive and all the bearings , bushes associated with it are fully assembled with oil. Really it is only the gears which require grease, but i like to grease all the screw threads too, just to ensure easy dismantling in the future.

For oil, it is hard to look past the corrosion X brand...it will give you the lubrication properties you want with some additional protection against corrosion.

My recommendation is 4 products:-

* 3 in 1 oil - great for cleaning stuff initially.

* Corrosion X oil - spool bearings, moving parts , line roller

* Blue Marine grease (but your inox will do) - gears , non spool bearings, screw threads, anywhere where machined surfaces meet.

* Cals Drag grease (tan colour) - dont use much, carbon drag washers designed to run nearly dry.

Edited by smashdcrab

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I read your post on oils.

Okuma advertise a pack which says. Okuma corrosion X and Cal's grease would this pack be ok to buy or should I keep looking. I found Blue Marine Grease and Cal's drag grease ( tan Colour ) as separate items. I would appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Edited by Rebel

• 9 months later...
Guest Guest123456789