Sydney Offshore – Sun 10 Jan

We had a bit of a dropathon on Sunday, hooked 5 dollies and 2 marlin but only managed to land 2 dollies. First marlin came straight off, put the line back in the clip and we were on again a few minutes later on the same lure. We had it on for about a minute before it turned 180 and took off in the opposite direction putting a massive bow in the line, I tried desperately to wind on the slack line. But before I could get the line tight again it came leaping out and skidded along the surface, unfortunately it threw the hook. Still, bloody exciting, we got a good look at it, about an 80kg Stripe.

We were about 7-8 miles east of Sydney where the water transitioned from dirty rain water to clean blue water, there was a sudsy line along the edge. We just ran that line for most of the day and pushed out towards the shelf around midday. Water temp was as high as 24 in places.

Wind started picking up in the early arvo so we started trolling back, got a double hook-up on Dollies about 10NM out. Dropped one and landed one that went around 6kg. Other than that, we got a small Dollie around 65cm and dropped 2 other small ones earlier on.

Everything we hooked apart from one Dollie was on the lure chain on the rigger with pillies inside the stinger lure.
http://www.scentblazer.com/Products/tabid/292/ProdID/1254/CatID/196/Lure_Chain_Sardine__Bullet_Head.aspx

good luck to anyone heading out

post-22587-0-56729200-1452592178_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-75837100-1452592179_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-01355900-1452592181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Very nice feed to come home with. How's your new boat coming?

yeah, Dollies are always good for a feed, I like them a lot

you know that saying “all good things take time,” well they wrote that saying about my boat :)

I had Skype tour of it a few days ago, it’s getting very close now. They put on a couple of ex Maritimo and Riviera guys in December, they seem really good and it seems to be going a lot faster now. They also decided to go a fibreglass fuel tank instead of aluminium which I’m very happy about. Hopefully not too much longer now, you’ll have to come out for a fish when it finally gets here.

That sounds great and very exciting.You must be hanging! Fibreglass tank is interesting. Must run a bladder? Why not stainless?

I'm definitely hanging to get it now :)

most of the new boats do fibreglass these days. Its cheaper and structurally stronger because its built into the hull, plus they don't corrode like aluminium. I don't think it has a bladder either, I think its just raw fibreglass

I'm not sure why they would choose aluminium over stainless, you'd have to think stainless would be way better, i'll ask him next time

Heading out Monday and Tuesday and ideas ?? Stick to 70/80fathom line ?

Hopefully we can get some clear sky's and get an accurate SST chart. Hoping to get out either Monday or Tuesday myself. As usual, can't get crew midweek.

this is today, 24 at Browns, the dark red starts at Heatons which is 27. There is a massive current running along the edge of the dark red area, hardly any current inside that.

tomorrow looks unreal, but I can't fish, got way too much work on. Tuesday is a slim possibility for me, let us know if anyone is heading out.

post-22587-0-34521800-1453014593_thumb.jpg

I'll be out tomorrow. How deep you think out of Sydney harbour should I target you think?

the water looks pretty good everywhere. I'd probably do a pass of the fads and fish traps then just keep heading east towards the shelf and beyond until I found that break that's goes from 24 to 27, the current is along the edge of that temp break. If you find it then I'd pace that break or zig-zag along it.

Right now it looks like its about 25 NM directly east of the heads, I don't know how deep that is but its about 5 miles past the shelf. It could move a lot by tomorrow, closer in or further out.

Other than that, 12 mile, browns, bait station, shelf, fads are all pretty good beats, It's hard to say

Good luck

We had to be off the water by 2pm so we headed to 12mile and then east for a couple of kms then turned north. Nothing at all. Most of the radio chatter was broken bay and bait station north of that. Some good dollies and stripes caught. Next time I will make it there.

I travelled to fad and wave rider got only small dollies and kings. Travelled north into 70-80 fathoms up to baranjoey and back to 12 mile..! Zero!!!! Water awesome blue and 24.5 degrees... No birds or bait! Heard a couple caught early but was pretty quiet in the radio.